Venice to Marco Polo with kids

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Marco Polo with kids

Hello Most Helpful People
We are booked and paid for a trip to Italy June 2021. We have only one night in Venice and arrive mid morning via car.and leave very early the next morning. Should we stay closer to the airport? If so, where? If we should stay in Venice. do you have a recommendation?

Last edited by Bougainvillea; Nov 14th, 2020 at 06:38 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 07:55 PM

We booked a water taxi through our hotel. Not the cheapest option but fast and easy. Picked us up at the hotel and zipped us to the airport in about 30 minutes or so.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 11:10 PM

If you stay in Venice, then I suggest staying close to Piazzale Roma so you can walk to the bus stop or taxi rank (I do find it really annoying when people drag their luggage over the cobblestones at unsocial hours though plenty of people do). It is incredibly easy to get lost in Venice so being close the bus/taxi stop also reduces the likelihood of taking a wrong turn, especially if you're in the dark. If money is not really an issue, then a water taxi would be convenient, although I've no personal experience of using them.

Although not normally recommended, this might be one occasion when staying in Venezia Mestre might be a good idea. You could drop the car there, drop your luggage at your hotel and spend the rest of the day in Venice, taking the train across the causeway. Then a quick taxi the next morning to the airport.

I recommend the kids take backpacks (roughly school bag size) with all their stuff in them as this is easier for them (and for you).

I hope COVID is resolved by then but really doubt that it will be. I'd make sure you have insurance.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. We decided to book near the airport. The flight is at 6:20am. Its a good idea to stay close to the airport.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Bougainvillea, if you're staying at the airport, there are regular buses between the airport and Venice. From memory, it's about 8euro per adult (buy before you board) so with four people you may find a taxi cheaper but I'm not certain. There is also a local bus which takes longer and is cheaper (or was when I last caught it).

As I said, it's very easy to get lost - and separated from each other - in Venice so I'd make sure the kids have your phone number or that of the hotel. Venice is one of the safest places I've ever visited but I getting separated can be a risk in the busy areas, especially with so much to gawk at. Quite some time ago there was a post about activities for kids in Venice which you might want to track down. We promised our kids gelato for lions spotted (to get them looking around themselves) and it worked a treat.

Have a fab time - I have absolutely loved travelling with my kids.
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 12:49 PM

A water taxi is such a fun experience so you might want to splurge and use that for your entrance into Venice and use some other method at the end of the day. The kids will love it!
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 03:19 AM

The water taxis are a little bit expensive, but they can zip you to the airport in less than 35-40 minutes. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Venice!
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 01:38 PM

The water taxis do sound fun but at 35-40 minutes that's about the same time as the bus. The water taxi would certainly be nicer but it sounds not faster to reach Venice. The Alilaguna ferry might be a great alternative. I love arriving by train - every time I step out of the station to the waterfront I feel so happy to be there.
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 07:16 PM

I like the idea of sleeping close to the airport for that early morning flight. You eliminate a lot of potential headaches by being close by (especially with kids).
I'd suggest checking in, prep your bags for tomorrow's flight and head into Venice.
Stay as late as you dare. Venice is soooo much more enjoyable in the evening after the cruise ships/day-trippers have left.
Ma out your time in Venice & catch up on your sleep on the plane!
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We booked the hilton at the airport. We can drop off the van at the airport and then head straight into Venice! Can't wait.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 03:26 PM

From the airport the fastest way into Venice is the ATVO bus which leaves from outside the arrivals area of the airport building. There are several bus stops in a row, and large signs telling you which stop you need. It's also marked on the front of the bus - you want Venice - Piazzale Roma. There are ticket machines by the bus stops too. The buses are every 20 mins and leave on the hour, 20 mins past and 40 mins past from the airport into Venice and at 10 mins, 30 mins and 50 mins past the hour from P. Roma back to the airport.

The alilaguna costs twice as much, takes much longer and is not so frequent. It's also a long walk from the arrivals/departure area despite there being a moving walk way. Also rather strangely you can't see much from it as they sit very deep in the water.