Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Forte dei Marmi: Suggested stops along the way?

Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Dear Fodorites,

We are in need of good advice we may only be able to find here!

We have a driver taking us from Venice to Forte dei Marmi. We love art and are considering stopping along the way in Padua to see Scrovegni Chapel, then we could go on to Mantua for art highlights there, then Parma for late lunch. Or we could leave Padua for Ferrara for art highlights there then Bologna for late lunch. Or we could go from Padua direct to Bologna or direct to Parma

Any suggestions on where to go, and if so what would be art highlights along the way and a restaurant suggestion in either Mantua, Ferrara, Parma or Bologna would be appreciated as well.

We think we could leave Venice about 9A - arrive in Padua about 10A - leave Scrovegni about 1030 and drive by Donatello's horse then on the road to either Mantua or Ferrara. We could be in Ferrara by 1145 or Mantua by 12 noon. Do we eat lunch in one of these then visit a museum or do we skip Ferrara, Mantua and Padua for either Parma or Bologna.

We know we could spend a week or a lifetime on this itinerary but we want to make the best of the day we have. Bring on all ideas Fodorites! Thanks in advance.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:55 AM

After Padua I would go to lunch in Parma - La Greppia would be my choice. Say hello to Snr. Rossi for us.

Ferrara would be on the way but not much time to do it all... unless you decide to eat lunch in Ferrara as well.

After lunch in Parma there would be time to stroll the town, see the Baptistery, which is an art highlight. Parma does adhere to siesta so not much open b/w 1 and 4 but the sights may be enjoyed.

Leaving Parma you could then stop in Pietrasanta on the way to Forte dei Marmi, which I am sure you'll visit anyway while there but it is another stop along the way...
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM

Well, I have to say I'd spend at least 3 or 4 days doing any of your suggested itineraries !

But just to pick out one detail - "arrive in Padua about 10A - leave Scrovegni about 1030". You can't see the Scrovegni Chapel in much less than an hour. You need to be waiting outside at your pre-booked time for when the outer door opens, spend 20 minutes in an antechamber watching a film while you cool down (to reduce damage to the frescos) then 20 minutes actually in the chapel. If you really love art it's well worthwhile spending the night in Padua as you can book a double length slot in the evenings, plus you'd have time to visit the nearby museum which has lots of interesting related and unrelated displays. When we went, it was the highlight of that 4 week trip.

Padua and Bologna are both really nice places in there on right too and both offer lots to see - we spent 2 nights in each and it wasn't enough in either.

I know it's probably too late to ask this, but do you have a a particular reason for going to Forte dei Marmi ? It is nice enough but it is basically just an Italian seaside resort like many others. Might it not be a better use of your time to go to a seaside resort somewhere in the north east, and you could do day trips to the places with art of interest from there ? You could do that all by train, too - no need to hire a driver. There are lots of places with beautiful frescos and mosaics in that area.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM

Sculptor, this is not an answer to your question, but a recommendation for a restaurant in the area for Fore dei Marmi. We found this place when a man in the marble business took us there.

This is not a "destination" restaurant, this is the real deal. You will find few tourists there. Da Beppino, Via Valdicastello Carducci 34, Pietrasanta. The phone number is 0584 790400. It is an old-fashioned somewhat upscale trattoria that has been there for ages. The menu is classic, and if you want to have a fine dinner with several courses and good wine, this is a place to do it.
Jun 4th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insights.

Caroline, yes we know we could spend a lifetime on the itinerary or at least a week but this time we have the day so given our reality this time we decided for sure we want to visit the Scrovegni Chapel. There is much to see in the Northeast so I'm sure we'll be back to the area soon. Sigh! I thought maybe we could squeeze something else in but really we prefer a relaxing lunch like Motorino suggests and then a stroll around Parma sounds perfect.

Charness and Motorino, thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Any others around the Forte dei Marmi coast or Pietrasanta?

Thanks again.