Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice to Florence via train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-to-florence-via-train-316467/)

lkemerson Mar 4th, 2008 01:29 PM

Venice to Florence via train

I have had a lot of great help and guidance on my upcoming trip and thank all who have added their input.

We will be traveling by train (train virgins here) from Venice to Florence on April 11.

I went to the Trenitalia site, and see an Amica fair:

Eurostar Italia 9467 date 11/04/2008

from Venezia S. Lucia (08:43)

to Firenze S. M. Novella (11:22)

for 77,60 for first class.

I'm way overthinking this, I am SURE...but those are the correct stations (blushing here, but hey, I'm new and if you don't ask, you don't know).

I'm wondering if we shouldn't go ahead and book this on line to get the first class Amica fare.

I'll wait for my other train tickets before I get there, or should I wait for this one as well?

I will only have two days in Venice, do I want to try and do this after I get there?

LAwoman Mar 4th, 2008 01:45 PM

You have the correct stations, if you want the station in the old center of these two cities.

The fare should be half of that tho - is that the cost for 2 tickets?

There are some special rules for Amica fare cancellation or missed trains, but if you are certain you'll be traveling on those dates, I would go ahead and book and take the savings.

tammylouky Mar 4th, 2008 01:52 PM

That's the right stations. I didn't travel first class and my ticket cost about $35 June 2007

lkemerson Mar 4th, 2008 01:54 PM

That is for two people in first class.

Those are the only stations offered that I am seeing...are there others that are more 'centrally' located?

We are staying near the Rialto Bridge in Venice, and the historical center in Florence (about 300 metres from the Santa Maria Novella railway station.)

So would these stations 'do?'

When we get to Italy if this becomes the one thing I over obsess over, I will be kicking myself!

I do hate this about myself! It's vacation! I should let go and enjoy.

suze Mar 4th, 2008 01:58 PM

For a simple trip like that I would simply buy a point-to-point ticket at the station in Venice.

lkemerson Mar 4th, 2008 02:00 PM

So what is the difference in the point to point and this trip via Trenitialia?

Is there a difference?

Difference in price?

Efficiency?

Times?

Seriously, I am totally train illiterate.

annhig Mar 4th, 2008 02:01 PM

Hi ikemerson,

no, those are the "right" stations. any more central in Venice and you'd get wet feet.

in Venice, to get to the rialto, you get a vaporetto [no 1] from the station or walk, but with luggage the vaporetto is easier. you could get you departure tickets when you arrive, along with a vaporetto pass if you want one.

in florence, you could probably walk if it's really only 300 metres.

those fares look ok for 2 x first class. you certainly won't get them much cheaper however long you wait and you might lose them altogether.

regards, ann

bellastarr Mar 4th, 2008 02:02 PM

I took the train from Venice to Florence this past fall.
We took an early morning train and changed trains in Mestre (right across the platform) then on to Florence. It was easy, I don't remember the cost, and we just bought our tickets at the station the same day.

We took a taxi out of the Station in Florence to our hotel.

kybourbon Mar 4th, 2008 02:07 PM

Click on standard for fare selection instead of Amica to see the difference in the fare prices. Venice/Florence is point-to-point. Be sure to notify your credit card in advance and give them time to flag your account or they might reject your attempt to purchase. I think Trenitalia's website (which is quite finicky) works better during Italy work hours.

AV or ES trains - Fastest most direct
ICplus or IC - step down from AV/ES and make a few more stops
R, IR, D - slow and make many stops - no first classor seat reservations but for some routes these are the only trains available.

ira Mar 5th, 2008 05:31 AM

t

travelschultz Mar 6th, 2008 07:41 AM

Speaking of illiterate, do I need to stamp my ticket in the machine each time I get on a train, or only once at the 1st departure station? I will be going from La Spezia to Florence to Venice in one day.
Thanks!

PalenQ Mar 6th, 2008 07:52 AM

There are a few IC trains from Florence-Rifredi station to Venice-Mestre daily and they, if buying tickets locally, may be significantly cheaper than the more expensive Eurostar trains and don't require reservations

they may not appear if you search for Florence to Venice schedules as they leave from Rifredi station, a few miles out of Florence SMN - constant shuttle trains between the two.

If you have one thru ticket i believe you only need date-stamp or cancel it before getting on the train - that cancels the ticket so you can no longer refund it - but i'm not positive so keep asking

If you have two tickets - one La Sp-Flor and one Flor-Venice then of course you have to cancel it twice.

travelfan1 Mar 6th, 2008 01:00 PM

Just took the train from Florence to Venice and want to add if you take the Euro Star train you DO NOT need to stamp it. Your ticket includes a reservation which specifies the date and time.

Have a wonderful trip.

lostinplace Mar 6th, 2008 06:25 PM

Another thing many have not mentioned, second class on the Eurostar trains is not bad or uncomfortable if you are trying to reduce cost.