COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Florence by Train - looking for good lunch stop

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:35 PM
RC

We plan on taking the early morning train from Venice to Florence in mid-October. Any recommendation for a hop-off train stop for a good moderate lunch and a quick walk-around?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:46 PM
- confused? -

No. Or I'm not sure I understand what you're planning to do. From Venice you should take the EuroStar and it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get to Florence. Why would you get off the train?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:51 PM
- confused? -

Excuse me, I should say that travel takes 2 hours & 49 minutes on the ES. If you take the early morning train (6:33 am) then you pull into Florence @ 9:22 am. OR there's the 8:33 am departure, that arrives at 11:22 am --- and then you can have lunch in Florence!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Bebe

The Eurostar also has a dining car and a snack car so no real reason to get off the train to eat. Plus the trains usually only stop for a few minutes so you would have to haul your luggage off the train, carry it with you to eat lunch, and then wait for the next train to Florence.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
RC

Sorry, let me try this again.
Rather than take the non-stop ES train from Venice to Florence, I was thinking that we divide the trip into 2 legs such that we can have lunch somewhere nice (Bologna?) and then take a late afternoon train (from Bologna?) to Florence.
Any suggestion on where we can conveniently have lunch other than the train dining cab?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:57 AM
Steve James

Hello RC,

I think Bologna would, in fact, be your best bet. Apart from being one of the 'food capitals' of Italy, it's a pleasant city and worth a visit.
The city centre is a short walk from the station.

Steve