2018 World Cup - who's watching?

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 World Cup - who's watching?

Any fans out there watching the footie fest?

Yes, I know it's in Russia, I know that the whole way they got to hold it was dodgy, and the fact that they got to play S. Arabia in the first game of the tournament didn't exactly help to dispel that impression, especially as [to quote the WaPo] S. Arabia played like a Saturday afternoon team that had watched a few Real Madrid videos, but who could not be thrilled at Ronaldo's hat-trick, Spain's fight back, and Iceland's wonderful 1:1 draw with Argentina? These were teams that were really trying, right to the end, that really wanted to win and cared about the result.

And please spare a thought for Australia. Not only did the lose to France in the World Cup this morning, but they also lost a rugby match against Ireland, and a cricket match against England, all on the same day.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in. It's hard to watch any live games given the time differences between Russia and the U.S., but I've watched some replays. Go Germany! Cannot wait for them to start tomorrow. Are you rooting for a team, Ann?
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 12:56 AM

I'm avoiding it as much as I can, but DH is a football fiend so I won't avoid it completely. He is looking forward to the England games. No divided loyalty this year sadly.
Haven't actually seen any of the matches yet. We are currently in the middle of nowhere camping but are heading home today.
Thankfully the weather is good and I can sit in the garden until nearly midnight without needing any lighting so I'll retreat outside probably.
I assume you are supporting England Ann. It was a bad day for Australian sports fans yesterday.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 01:26 AM

Forza Mexico
Allez Mexico
Go Mexico

In fact go anything but Fritz.

They fiddle car emission tests.

Absolutely lost this time Ann. We didn’t qualify again.The English are, well English and will live up to everyone else’s expectations but their youth team performed well over the past 5 years.

What does that leave.

in terms of linking past travel to teams.

USA : failed
Italy : failed
Singapore : they are more interested in making money
Australia : didn’t seem to have much passion
Iceland : lots of passion but in terms of travel experience they sold out to world tourism so not supporting them
Spain : Costa , Ramos sorry no thanks
Denmark : I think they are there
Sweden : love them , might possibly be my team
Germany : I refer to my answer above
The Bahamas : where is their football team?
Norway : where are they?
Saudi : oh dear
Cape Town United : failed
Croatia : not sure
Morroco, Egypt : beyond Mo I know nothing about them
Swizzyland and Boringium : would you really
Tunisia : well I’ve been but it really would be crass and Scottish to support England’s first hurdle

so I’m down to .....

Can only be one

after getting absolutely smashed in Saint Emilion all last week. It has to be France.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 04:43 AM

I’m in also. Tryng to watch. The save by Icelands goalie on the pk was great.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Hi! Count me in!! Being retired All my time is free to watch the matches. When not watching football (please, don't call it soccer) I am planning my next two trips.

Going with URUGUAY.....my country.

Also Spain.....DW's country.

Also Germany.....I love Deutschland.

Missing ITALY!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Go Germany! Cannot wait for them to start tomorrow. Are you rooting for a team, Ann?>>

yes, Trippqanner, as Hets says, it has to be IN-GER-LUND, dunnit? Nice to know that your DH will be supporting us too. "In it to win it" as they say!! Believe that you'll believe anything though the youth team has been cracking as Dickie says.

Love your analysis of your favourite team, Dickie - you are certainly an equal opportunity offender of persons. Allez les bleus! Though preferably not tonight when they take on England under 20s in the final of the under 20 rugby world cup. It's being played in Beziers which won't help us but at least there won't be a french ref, and they can't play worse than their senior counterparts did yesterday against South Africa. It was positively painful.

Pagno - I agree that the Iceland keeper's save was fantastic - did you know that he's also a film director and did the team's World Cup video? Talented chap. And his team mate who scored the goal definitely gets my vote for the best name of the tournament so far: Alfred Finnbogason.

as for Germany I refer you to a quote from my friend Gary Lineker:

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

Anyway, back to the football [and I quite agree that it's not soccer, jelopez] and good luck to all our countries. I agree that the list of absentees is extraordinary. Who can believe that we have a world cup with Iceland not the Netherlands, Australia not the USA, Switzerland not Italy - the group stages seem to have been badly managed.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 08:45 AM

The Netherlands were just rubbish and didn't deserve to be there. Most Dutch are not interested in it, or are supporting Belgium, which is more than the Belgians ever did for Holland.
Germany not looking too hot right now. Yes DH is watching...
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Annhig- I think the story of the Icelands team is interesting. The coach is a dentist too. Germany is not loking to good right now but all it takes is one to tie it up
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" Anyway, back to the football [and I quite agree that it's not soccer, jelopez] and good luck to all our countries. I agree that the list of absentees is extraordinary. Who can believe that we have a world cup with Iceland not the Netherlands, Australia not the USA, Switzerland not Italy - the group stages seem to have been badly managed. "
Harsh - Iceland are there because they topped a group that included Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey

Netherlands aren't there because they could only finish 3rd in their group
Italy because they failed to beat Sweden in a Play off
The USA because they could win only 3 of their 10 games (Australia qualified by beating Honduras - who finished above the USA)
Even the dire Saudia Arabia had a decent qualifying campaign - I do miss ceertain teams, but it seems that the sides that are there deserve to be.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 05:50 PM

Is it still true this Cup that the team that scores first in matches between fairly equal teams then turtles and often wins 1-0 or 2-1, etc? Have not looked at match scores but will.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Pal -i hadn't analysed it like that! [Turtles??]

Stand out match yesterday was Mexico v Germany. Bet the flags are flying at half mast in Hamburg today!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 02:52 AM

Who wants to watch a load of chaps running around a field kicking a piece of inflated plastic?
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ribeirasacra
Who wants to watch a load of chaps running around a field kicking a piece of inflated plastic?
About 3.2 Billion people based on the figures for the 2014 tournament
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Though I will be missing the match to go to my choir rehearsal, I'm watching the BBC build up, and they clearly haven't allowed the magnitude of the event to spoil the fun. For 5 minutes they dare to dream that England will win the World Cup. This is followed with a montage of England managers' thoughts and experiences which is rather less joyful. Thoughtful stuff.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:59 AM

I'm now deaf in my right ear.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:16 PM

'turtling' is a ice hockey term - getting a lead and trying to keep puck as much as possible and putting more emphasis on defense. Ca y'est!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 02:03 PM

The first half was good, the second half meh. I hated the back passing - best case scenario you lose momentum, worst case scenario you lose the ball in your own half and concede. Two good goals though, and more importantly 3 points. Btw as is traditional I missed the first goal due to my iplayer stream buffering!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

'turtling' is a ice hockey term - getting a lead and trying to keep puck as much as possible and putting more emphasis on defense. Ca y'est!>>

thanks, Pal. I'd guessed as much.

A win is a win, RM, and particularly welcome when certain other teams lost their first matches.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 05:17 AM

Well done, England!

I thought today we had a day off from football, but it seems Mo Salah will play so I'll be watching Egypt instead of sowing cucumbers this afternoon. I hope he's in form.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -