Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   venice tides (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-tides-562155/)

mwoodrowe Oct 2nd, 2005 05:02 PM

venice tides

i thought i read a post recently where someone knew when high tide would be. i am trying to find out where i can find that info. i will be in venice nov 12-nov 16 and would like an idea of what the possibility of flooding will be. thanks!

dorkforcemom Oct 2nd, 2005 05:55 PM

I'm sorry I don't know how to help with the tides but I'll share our experience with the flooding in Venice. Thigh-high water every late afternoon throughout the evening. If we got "caught" at the wrong place when the tide came in, we couldn't return to our hotel without wading through the thigh-high water. I should have packed more clothes. Don't get me wrong, we loved Venice. I was not expecting the extent of the flooding. Happy travels!

LoveItaly Oct 2nd, 2005 09:18 PM

Hello, I have been trying to post without success but maybe this time it will work.

A Fodorite generously gave a website...www.veniceword.com that should be of some help to you. Click through it and you will find information regarding the acqua alta in Venice. I sure hope that my post will post this time! Happy travels to you.

Flying_Mom Oct 3rd, 2005 04:08 AM

mwoodrowe, We were in Venice last November around the same time you will be there and we did not experience any flooding during our 5 day stay. We did take extra shoes just in case but walked all over the city at all hours and did not experience any tides. The did have the little walk ways all around the Square but were not in use.

Enjoy your stay in Venice, it is a wonderful city. You will be amazed at its beauty.

Maria_H Oct 3rd, 2005 05:03 AM

I read somewhere that the greatest possibility of flooding was round the full or new moon. Does anyone know if this is true?

FlyFish Oct 3rd, 2005 05:13 AM

High tides (so-called "spring" tides) are indeed related to full and new moons - when the effects of gravity from the sun and moon are either 180 degrees opposite or aligned, respectively. Lower, or neap, tides occur when the sun and moon are at right angles, which is when the moon appears half-illuminated. The mid-November period that the OP asked about will have neap tides - but recognize that astronomical conditions are only one of several factors that control the height of tides in Venice (and elsewhere).

USNR Oct 3rd, 2005 05:24 AM

Tides anywhere within the Adriatric Sea and its lagoons (Venice is on such a lagoon) are almost non-existent. Only when storms and high winds potentiate what little tide there is does Venice have "floods" -- actually, a backing-up of the sea. These last only for a brief time, usually less than 24 hours. I have sailed that body of water from one end to the other, and nowhere is there a tide of more than a couple feet at most.

mwoodrowe Oct 3rd, 2005 03:02 PM

thanks for all the responses. i hope we don't have thigh high water! a little flooding...one day only...would be interesting though.

LoveItaly Oct 3rd, 2005 03:09 PM

I just heard that Veneto is having terrible weather today and it is expected to last until the weekend. Rain, snow, very cold weather etc. Worry about floods (not just Venice). and rain and cold expected to go south also.

Jean Oct 3rd, 2005 04:40 PM

Go to www.comune.venezia.it for general info on visiting Venice or directly to www.comune.venezia.it/maree/astro.asp#zip for monthly tidal charts.

During the time of your visit, tides will not be at their highest or lowest. If no rain and/or wind, probably no flooding.