Venice - things that can't be missed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I've heard that a ride in a gondola is expensive, I've also heard it is a 'must do' while in Venice.

My wife and I are going to Venice next week for the first time? Would love to hear from anyone with a few ideas of "things that can't be missed". This includes churches, museums, restaurants, or just a local cafe with a great view and good wine.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
ira

Hi C,

I have not yet missed missing a gondola ride, and I have been to Venice many times.

Have you looked under "Destinations"?

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have only been to Venice once, but I couldn't see springing for a gondola ride. You can have the poor man's version of the gondola by crossing the Grand Canal at one of the traghetto crossings. The traghetti are gondolas with two oarsmen that cross the canal at fixed points for a cost of less than a euro per ride. The tradition is to stand while riding, but sitting is also possible.

I found the secret itineraries tour at the doge's palace extremely interesting. You get to see parts of the palace that are not open to the general public, and after the tour you make your way through the public areas on your own.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM

We loved our gondola ride in March, which we split with a Brazilian man we met near the gondolas. We are returning to Venice 10 months later, in January, and plan on taking another gondola ride with our group of 7.

I second the Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doge's Palace. Fascinating.

Also we loved our time spent in Burano. I am sure many here will say to skip it if you are in Venice for a short time, but we were very glad we went.

Finally, there is a campanile at San Giorgio Maggiore with amazing views of Venice... we missed it last time but will definitely visit it on our upcoming trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM

I would not miss the gondola ride. It is a centuries old tradition and a once in a lifetime .."must do"!

If you can only afford a traghetto then you really can not afford Venice. It is okay, but it is NOT a gondola ride.

Do see some private glass blowers if you can on Murano...lovely to just walk around.

Do a tour via Vapretto...just stay on.

Walk, walk, walk away from the crowds adn discover the beauty of Venice and its charms.

It is expensive, but we really enjoyed Cafe Florian and had hot chocolate there in the shade while listening to wonderful music. It is right in St Marcos square, but come early before the crowds.

The price of a gondola ride is outrageous, but where else in the world can you do this? HOw many other times will you have this opportunity?

We are budget travelers and we felt it was absolutely worth the splurge:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/3...A47159903.html

I do not know what it is like right now, but it was fabulous when we were there in June and we would not have missed it for the world.

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM

Fantastic photos, WTnow! I especially love the last one of your daughter and the gondolier.