Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice-Suggestions For Great Photo Opportunities

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM
chuck

A similar message is now posted about Rome, but I'm going to Venice in mid May. Whay are some good photo shots in Venice? I understand streets are narrow and therefore may be shady. What film speed is good for Venice? Chuck.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Howard

If there is one city where the photo ops are obvious, it's Venice. Every corner you turn literally is a photo op. You'll have ample opportunities to photographs buildings with their mirror images in the water of the narrow canals, for just one example. I used 200 film and had no problems. Venice has a most unusual halo/hazy sunshine. My wife calls it a "Monet sun."
Bring lots of film!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:30 AM
beth anderson

I agree.

Just about every photo I took was a stunner. you can't help it.

the big thing I would suggest:

BRACKET BRACKET BRACKET.

if you think you have a winner, take 3-4 shots of the same scene, using different shutter/speed combos.

and, if you take a wide angle zoom (which I usually do, as it cuts down on weight - 28-70 is my usual favorite)

try zooming in & out for various scenes, too. cropping before you get the actual picture can make a big difference.

I also found that some pictures I took - I stood in the exact same spot with the exact same speed/shutter, and, just by zooming in & out - it could improve or ruin the light metering.

I don't carry my flash with my 'real; camera as it's just too darn heavy. however, I also carry my digital with me - it's REALLY light - the size of a pack of cigarettes, and it takes FANTASTIC shots. (really. even for being a two year old camera). that has a flash on it and I have to say, it does a good job...

Beth

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:50 AM
elaine

I agree
for one location that's not very well known, look for the Bovolo staircase. It's in a tiny courtyard off a small street between Rialto Bridge and San Marco. Many guidebooks mention it, but few people go to find it.
It is open to the public (at times) and
is a stunning outdoor spiral gothic
staircase. Built 1492, it's what the Venetians were building while America was just being "discovered".

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Andy

I loved the Peggy Guggenheim Home/Museum-the back yard has some fabulous sculptures by Henri Moore and it is great to both walk thru and take photos !