Venice, Sorrento, Rome advice needed

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice, Sorrento, Rome advice needed

Hi,
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Italy next April.
We've pretty much decided on 2 nights in Venice, 3/4 nights in Sorrento, and the last 3/4 nights in Rome.
I've been looking at flight possiblilties (as they are now since they're not out yet for next April)
It looks like the easist way to do it would be fly Boston to Venice,
Vencie to Naples (Alitalia has flights for a little over $100.00)
and then home from Rome (flights home from Naples do not look convenient at all)
How does that sound to folks?
There will be 4 of us traveling (2 couples).
Next I'll start looking for (budget) hotels.
Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM

Hi,

I took a Mediterranean cruise this past August. I only stayed in 2 Hotels. First, in Rome, my fiancee and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Palatino around the corner from the Colosseum. I would not recommend this hotel as they were very rude. They claimed free wifi but when we arrived attempted to charge us for it. Second, in Venice, we stayed at the Locanda Orseolo. I Highly recommend this hotel. It is a 5 minute from the Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square) where we got engaged It is family owned. Alex recommended a few excellent restaurants but the one we settled on was one almost in a back alley called Barababao (Boogey Man).

If you are looking for an excellent private tour company check out Miles & Miles. Again, this is a family owned company. The father is quite passionate and very knowledgeable of Rome. The mother (Karen) does the tour of the Vatican. She is virtually an expert on the Vatican and the artwork (amazing). The son (Francesco) did the tour outside of Rome (Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Postiano) Oh I didn't mention this was 2 days. Also, they take you to the Crypt of the Capuchins (creepy but very fascinating).

I hope this was helpful. I will try to answer any other questions you might have.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM

I would do Positano rather than Sorrento, i tis simply breathtaking. From there you can get to Ravello, Amalfi and Capri by ferry just as well as you can from Sorrento.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM

What is your actual hotel budget? "budget" means different things to different people.

I haven't been to Sorrento but Positano is breathtaking.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!
I'll check out Positano vs Sorrento, thanks
I'd really like to keep it under $150.00 to $175.00 (or 125 euros) per night.