Venice- smelly canal? is it true?

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:07 PM
leanne

Venice- smelly canal? is it true?

hello
my husband and i would like to visit venice in september but we've heard that from july through september the canal has a very strong "stench" (arthur frommer's). has anyone experienced the "stench" when visiting venice?

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:58 AM
elaine

I was there in Sept and there was no smell at all
I haven't been there in the dead of summer but few posters on this forum if any have ever confirmed a problem in Venice re "stench"
I can't help but wonder if this is left- over folklore from many years ago before Venice installed modern
sewage treatment plants

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:03 AM
Paulo

A few times during the year canals in Venice do stink ... it's a question of oxygen. The whole lagoon is very shallow. Thus, if the water is not constantly renewed, oxygen will thin down in a short time and some marine plants (macroalgae) won't be able to survive. Tidal changes occur every six hours or so. Fresh water is drawn into the lagoon, through the three gates to open sea and, assisted by rivers on the other side, old water is flushed out. Under certain wind and pressure conditions, the water renewal process is somewhat halted ... and the canals will stink. On the reverse side of the coin, also under certain wind and pressure conditions, too much water will flow in ... and one has the tidal flooding or "acqua alta".
Paulo

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:15 AM
Janet

Hello! We were there last August and the canals didn't smell at all. Perhaps we were lucky. Venice is wonderful - enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:29 PM
leanne

thank you all for responding so quickly.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
Fran

Loved every minute in Venice. Would love to go again. No...the canal did not have any stench at all when we were there. Have a great time!