Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice - Secret Itineraries tour - cancellation provision? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-secret-itineraries-tour-cancellation-provision-739193/)

traveler2005 Sep 26th, 2007 07:56 PM

Venice - Secret Itineraries tour - cancellation provision?

We have signed up for a Secret Itineraries Tour in Venice on the morning that our cruise ship docks. The only time that was available was 10:45 AM and we are concerned whether we will be able to make it.

I feel like I've read somewhere that there is no charge if a tour is missed. On one hand, there may be people waiting for such things so that the location knows that the spot will be filled. On the other hand, that would be very unusual and I can understand why one normally has to pay for a tour even if it is missed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I searched their website and couldn't find it and don't remember where I read that (if I indeed did).

Debbie

travelgirl2 Sep 26th, 2007 08:02 PM

Sorry, Debbie, no information on cancellations. But I hope you make the tour, as we enjoyed it very much.

travelhorizons Sep 26th, 2007 08:03 PM

Is the cruise line offering the tour, or did you sign up with an independent tour in Venice? If it's the former, I'd think you're protected.

If you've purchased trip insurance that has a trip delay component, this should protect your financial outlay.

WillTravel Sep 26th, 2007 08:15 PM

Except that most trip insurance has a deductible, and this tour is probably less than that.

If you did not prepay for the reservation, and booked it directly with the site, and did not provide a credit card number, you won't be charged. If you used a third-party agency where you prepaid, you will be charged. Which way did you make your reservation?

traveler2005 Sep 27th, 2007 04:22 AM

Thanks for your help. Our hotel booked it for us (the Locanda Orseola because of all the recommendations here).

I wrote them and asked and heard back this morning. He said that the Doge's palace does not have any of our credit card information and so we will not be charged if we can not make it there in time. I certainly hope that we can.

Thanks again for the help.

Debbie

Campbellsoup Sep 27th, 2007 05:18 AM

We just returned from our cruise on NCL Jewel. We were supppose to arrive early but on the day before, our port arrival time was changed from 10:00am to 12:30pm. This is definately a problem with cruising. We paid for the Doges Secret Itinerary Tour once we walked in the door. It was excellant. Fortunately, we booked for early the second day before we departed at 12:00 (also changed from our planned 2:00pm. Go early or stay late for a quick walk around of the palace too. You will not see any of the regular spots from the Secret tour. The jail cells are most interesting. Have fun.

traveler2005 Sep 27th, 2007 05:34 PM

Wow - that's a big difference in arrival time.

We are suppose to dock at something like 5:30 AM - I originally thought it was 7:30 - but my last look at the website said 5:30.

Debbie

ready2travel Sep 27th, 2007 06:13 PM

Bookmarking