Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice: San Clemente Palace or Locando Orseleo in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all~

I would love any input! I have booked a room based on peoples feedback here in Venice at Locanda Orseleo. I just found out that I can get a 50% discount at San Clemente Palace, the new 5 star resort in venice. Has anyone heard about this hotel? All of the reviews about the Locando Orseleo have been wonderful. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Hi juliekenney,

I've read through your other posts looking for clues to help with this dilema. I think the answer to your question about whether to keep your reservations at Locanda Orseolo, or spend a few more euros and experience a resort you might not otherwise choose depends completely on what you want your Venetian experience to be. It appears you will only be in Venice for 2 to 2 1/2 days, which from experience is not very much time. If I were in your shoes I suppose I would ask myself the following questions:

Do I want to immerse myself in Venice day and night or do I want to visit Venice for several hours and retreat to an oasis? If you've never been to Venice, this is probably your critical question. From their website San Clemente Palace appears to be a beautiful luxury resort "escape" from Venice designed for pampering and relaxation. Since the entire island is resort property, it appears your choices of transportation will be water taxis and their motor launch to/from San Marco which will add more euros to your stay. Meals at the resort will most likely cost more as well.

What is the possibility/probability that I will return to Venice? Having now been there, this would be the key question for me. We were only in Venice for 2 nights, and we know we want to return someday and stay longer. My first choice will be Locanda Orseolo. However, if I could spend a week there and had the enticing discount you have for San Clemente Palace, I just might split my time between the two so that I could be pampered for a couple of days without having to leave Venice.

I hope I haven't made this decision more difficult for you, but only you can know what you expect from your vacation (and your vacation money). Whatever you decide, enjoy Venice.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help! I think I decided on the b&b. Very much appreciated.

Julie
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:16 AM

Hi Julie,

Happy to be of assistance. You won't regret Locanda Orseolo. You will be greeted and welcomed like family. Since your stay will be short, if there is something in Venice that you particularly want to see/do which requires reservations, inquire with them by email when you have finalized your itinerary. They can most probably secure your reservations prior to your arrival.

I've looked at your latest itinerary, and will post pertinent thoughts there, but it looks as though you may be arriving in Venice after dark. If this is the case, make certain you have with you the map and written directions they will provide you. The most important element is going through the little iron gate to reach Corte Zorzi (refer to my trip report which you have previously responded to). Venice is an amazing city - enjoy.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I agree with Rookie except my understanding is the San Clemente's launch back & forth is FREE. And the trip sounds short & launches run late so you will not be forced to eat at the hotel. I'd make the decision based on the rest of your trip. Would it be nice to have a luxurious break at this point in the itinerary or is this your first stop?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:07 AM

mclaurie -

I probably "assumed" too much on the private launch. I realize the launch itself is free, but when one tips bellhops, chambermaids, room service porters, etc. I made the assumption that the launch captain would also be looking for a tip. Also, if the launch only goes from the resort to and from San Marco (which is how it looks per their website) and one wishes to travel directly to/from the train station or car park, then a water taxi is necessary.

The point of all this stems from her earlier post stating that she could book there for only 60 euro more than Locanda Orseolo which allows one to use the much cheaper public transportation and includes one meal a day (breakfast). I didn't see any mention of included meal(s) on their website. She wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples, but how can you between a 5* and a 3* or B&B (I've seen Loc. Orseolo advertised both ways).
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM

If you want five star luxury and relaxation at the end of the day, go with San Clemente. If you want to be in Venice at a B&B, go with the other. San Clemente prices will rise over time so this is the time to stay. The launch is like the Cipriani run for the Hotel and every twenty minutes to San Marco.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone...everyone has such wonderful feeback. we will be arriving to venice around 5:00 pm, i believe. i do not think breakfast is included with my rate. i know that it is isn't comparing apples to apples. i agree with the tips as well. thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

just found out that the rate would be $255.00 usd and $250.00 at the locando orseleo. the rate includes breakfast. another hard decision.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Ooohhh! $255 at San Clemente vs $250 at Loc. Orseolo? Both include breakfast? That would make San Clemente a no-brainer for me. That is if you do decide to keep Venice in your plans (I just saw your revised-revised itinerary on your other thread). I'm glad I don't have to make your decision. In the end, I'm sure you and your husband will make the decision you think is best for you. Best wishes.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:04 PM

If San Clemente includes breakfast in its rates then for a diff. of just $5, go w/San Clemente since it's a 5*.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

okay! everyone is so wonderful! thank you!