Reload this Page >

Venice restaurant for Valentine's Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
talin

My husband and I will be in Italy for 10 days, ending in Venice, and we will be there for Valentine's day. Can anyone give any suggestions for restaurants for dinner for Valentine's Day. Thank you.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Nancy

We found a nice little restaurant called Antica Trattoria Poste Vecie. www.postevecie.com

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:05 AM
docsjc

I highly recommend Osteria da Fiore, an elegant neighborhood restaurant that has been counted among the finest in the world. A menu of sublime purity and simplicity based on local seafood. Requires a gondola ride to reach which will only enhance the experience. Reserve now as it is highly popular even among locals. Telephone(41) 721-308

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Mary

Not sure why you'd need to get a gondola to Da Fiore. You could, but it's easily accessible by vaporetto and walking. Excellent choice - web site is www.dafiore.com/ and you can book on line. We had a wonderful dinner there.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Henly

We stumbled across this restaurant on our last trip to Venice and found it to be one of the best meals we had ever had in Italy, and by far the best in Venice. We had such a special experience there. We were there in the summer and were able to eat outdoors. I am not sure what the inside of restaurant is like. The service was impeccable!!!<BR><BR>www.sanmarcohotels.com/lacolomba.htm

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Jenn

We just returned from Italy two days ago, and I can recommend two great places: <BR><BR>Restaurant #1-<BR>Acqua Pazza is a bright, cheerful place recommeded by Marcella Hazan, the Italian cookbook author. We were the only Americans, surrounded by very chic Venetians. The food was great- we had a mixed seafood prima piatti that was like the best ceviche in the world. The pizza was fabulous and the pasta was great, too. At the end of the meal, two bottles of brightly colored liquid and little cups are placed on each table. These were home-made liquors, provided by the restaurant as a free bonus. We tried lemoncello, mandarine orange and cantaloupe flavors that were all delicious.<BR><BR>Restaurant #2<BR>La Rivista is a super-trendy looking place downstairs from a fancy hotel. They do have their menu translated into English, which is supposed to be the sign of a tourist place, but La Rivista was anything but that. The decor is really cool and modern, and the food is superb: not just the traditional Venetian dishes, but gourmet, creative variations. My husband and I are total foodies, so we loved it. I had a duck appetizer that came with a cup of lapsong souchon tea to drink as it was eaten so that the flavors could blend; this is a good example of how creative the food was. We also had the best risotto of our entire trip, so they do traditional well also. Despite the gourmet, stylish atmosphere, the servers were all very warm and friendly. We were one of the last tables to leave and they all, including the owner, came to shake our hands goodbye and wish us Buon Anno (Happy New Year.)<BR><BR>Both places offer style and great food and service, but they are modern-looking, so if you want a romantic, old-fashioned place for Valentine's Day, these might be better for another night.<BR><BR>An entertainment recommendation: There is a church on the corner of a big square near the Accademia area (Sorry, I can't remember the name, it's sort of back from the Grand Canal a few blocks)where they have classical music concerts. We saw a string quintet do Vivaldi and Mozart one night, then had a late dinner. It was a great winter vacation experience! There are signs outside, and we bought tickets in advance because it was sold out the first time we went.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! I'm ready to go back already!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:14 PM
amy

here's another vote for da fiore. we had a truly outstanding and romantic meal on the last night of our trip to italy. definitely a special occasion place.<BR><BR>you don't need to take a gondola ... we walked ... but be sure to have your hotel give you directions/map.