Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice - Reasonably priced restaurants. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-reasonably-priced-restaurants-385609/)

goingtobeijing Jun 26th, 2008 10:38 AM

Venice - Reasonably priced restaurants.

I always think of Venice as a tourist destination with alot of overpriced "tourist traps".

I will be in Venice for a few days and I'd like to know what good, reasonably priced restaurants fodorites can recommend.

Thanks in advance.

ira Jun 26th, 2008 11:15 AM

Hi G,

What's your price range?

((I))

goingtobeijing Jun 26th, 2008 11:35 AM

ira I really don't have a budget, I'm looking for resaurants that are good value (for money). Not necessarily fancy places. I want to avoid the overpriced tourist traps.

ekscrunchy Jun 26th, 2008 11:38 AM

With a few exceptions, you will need to get out of the St. Marks/Rialto area. Do a search here first, as there is lots of information on that subject. In general food prices are higher in Venice than in other cities but you can still have great food at a good price..you just have to be more careful.

ira Jun 26th, 2008 11:38 AM

Hi G,

>ira I really don't have a budget,...

Do you think that $150 pp is a reasonable price for lunch at a 3* restaurant?

Do you think that 25E pp for dinner at a local trattoria is too high?

Work with us, G. We are trying to help you. :)

((I))

ekscrunchy Jun 26th, 2008 11:45 AM

I understand you, I think. Good value for money with no fixed budget.

Osteria alla Botte

Dalla Vedova

La Zucca

Those three are pretty standard and they each have excellent food.

ekscrunchy Jun 26th, 2008 11:46 AM

Also: Anice Stellato in Canareggio.

suze Jun 26th, 2008 11:57 AM

The tourist trap restaurants are mostly located around the main tourist attractions. To avoid them, simply head to other neighborhoods. Look for menus that are not translated into English.

SuzG Jun 26th, 2008 12:00 PM

I mentioned on another post that I purchased a book a couple of weeks ago titled "Great Eats in Venice, Rome and Florence." It has numerous restaurants in Venice, and lists the prices. Many of them are all "cheap eats." They look fantastic. Also, check out a website called "Chowhound." Search for VEnice restaurants. They talk about some that are reasonably priced.
Good luck.

Kyliebaby3 Jun 26th, 2008 12:01 PM

Ristorante Avogaria was great if you're looking for something with a touch of fancy. Stiff drinks, very friendly service, and the food was great.

The prices are a little high, but we were there for my boyfriend's birthday, so I think we ordered every course, and we definitely weren't bargain-shopping the menu. They did bring us complimentary champagne when we sat down because they knew it was his birthday, and I thought that was a nice touch.

Here are the details:

Dorsoduro 1629
30123 Venezia
www.avogaria.com

As with everything in Venice, it's a little challenging to find, but we wandered around and did it. I made our reservation via email, and they were very responsive.

Best of luck!

thursdaysd Jun 26th, 2008 12:45 PM

La Bitta - Calle Lunga, San Barnaba, Dorsoduro - is a good place if you get tired of seafood.

toni_g_b Jun 26th, 2008 01:06 PM

Da Alvise near Fondamente Nuove. Delicious. Reasonable. Lovely setting on the water across from San Michelle. We went there twice; it was so good! http://tinyurl.com/2mx4hy

Trattoria ai Greci,(Rio di San Lorenzo, Castello 4988). We went back when we returned to Venice for the second time. Tables by the canal, good food at reasonable prices. Who knew French fries in Italy could be so good!

maitaitom Jun 26th, 2008 01:25 PM

We just ate at La Bitta a week ago. Very nice dinner. Lamb chops were terrific as was the pane cotta.
((H))

slangevar Jun 26th, 2008 01:28 PM

Bookmarking (yum)

thursdaysd Jun 26th, 2008 02:08 PM

maitaitom - I ate twice at La Bitta. I especially remember a raw artichoke salad and liver and onions. Reservations are probably a good idea.

goingtobeijing Jun 26th, 2008 03:02 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ira, it's difficult for me to answer your question. I was thinking instead of spending x euros on a so so meal, I'd rather spend 10 additional euros and have an enjoyable meal.

I certainly don't mind splurging on a memeroble meal.

I will look into the restaurants that have been recommended.

nwtraveler Jul 3rd, 2008 07:48 AM

Bookmarking. Thank you all for the suggestions.