Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-questions-236376/)

Jaideep Jul 2nd, 2002 11:14 PM

Venice questions

Hi, my wife and I will be in Venice later this month -- though unfortunately, only for a couple of days. Had a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate some help with:<BR><BR>a. We'll be arriving on the overnight train from Zurich, getting in at 7.15 am. What would be the best way to get to our hotel? It's the Ateneo on San Marco, behind St. Mark's square. Specifically, which is better to take: a vaporetto, or a water taxi? Will they need precise directions (or will the hotel name do?) And how much should we expect to pay? <BR><BR>b. Since we only have a short time (and since we'll be getting our culture fix elsewhere), would appreciate suggestions on how to spend our 2 days in a fairly relaxed fashion: cafes, walks etc.<BR><BR>c. Even though it's so cliched, we feel we have to do a gondola ride -- is the rate about 75 $ per person per hour? And is this negotiable? Also, are there particular routes that we should suggest to the gondoleer?<BR><BR>Any other Venice suggestions gratefully appreciated.<BR><BR>thanks very much,<BR>Jaideep<BR>

heather Jul 3rd, 2002 12:34 AM

my husband and i stayed on lido for 4 days last spring. we wereable to fill our days nicely with walks through venice and baot trips to murano and burano. gondola rides are extremely negotiable. i was able to convince the guy to give us an hour for only $75 (his orginal price was $175!!) from what i remember you won't have to suggest a route, they are pretty standard based on how long your ride is. depending on how much you pay the ride will last 30 45 or 60 minutes.

Bob Jul 3rd, 2002 02:18 AM

Hi, Jaideep!<BR><BR>When you come out of the train station, walk directly out of the main exit and you will see a vaporetto stop. Look for #82 and take it in the direction of St. Marks (should be to your left). #82 is kind of like an express and will get you to St. Marks & from there you should be able to get to your hotel easily.<BR><BR>You may want to buy a 3 day pass for getting around on the water. Not expensive. They are good for 72 hours from the first time you use them.<BR><BR>You shouldn't have any problems. My wife and I did this last month. <BR><BR>Bob

Wayne Jul 3rd, 2002 04:47 AM

Couple of answers that haven't been provided yet:<BR>-Naturally, the water taxi can probably get you closer to the hotel. But taking the vaporetto will save you a LOT of money---around $30 to $40. And it is plenty quick enough.<BR>-You need to ask the hotel about which vaporetto stop is closest, and get off the vaporetto at that point, then walk to the hotel. If the hotel is indeed directly "behind" St. Marks, or in that immediate vicinity, the vaporetto stop you want will be named San Marco. <BR>-If you do opt for the extra expense of a water taxi, remember that it is unlikely you'll be able to check into the hotel so early in the morning; so the extra time a water taxi would save (which is probably no more than about 10 minutes) doesn't gain you anything except perhaps a landing spot closer to your hotel. If you don't have a lot of luggage, a water taxi doesn't make good economic sense, though it is more comfortable. I don't know about your hotel, but I would bet it isn't right on a canal where a water taxi could stop. That means you will still have a bit of a walk after being dropped off by the water taxi. <BR>-As for what to do, you might want to deposit your bags at the hotel right away, then grab breakfast somewhere (many hotels will allow you an extra breakfast free when you arrive early). And you still should see the cathedral and Doge's Palace. Then just wander around the city and get lost. You'll find all kinds of sights and restaurants. To get a good orientation you can take the elevator to the top of the campanile on Piazza San Marco. The view of Venice is really great.

elaine Jul 3rd, 2002 05:04 AM

Hi<BR>Good suggestions above.<BR>When you pack your suitcase in Zurich, leave your camera in your totebag and accessible from the moment you step off your train. Emerging from the Venice train station into the light and color and water of Venice is I think a not-to-be forgotten experience. So is that first vaporetto ride. Here are<BR>2 websites that have printable guides to the buildings you will see along the Grand Canal: <BR> http://www.stb.dircon.co.uk/venice_guide.pdf<BR>www.commune.venezia.it/rol2/ling21.asp?F=nf_r<BR><BR>As suggested, you can drop your bags at the hotel and join the line that will be forming to gain entrance to the Basilica, which opens for visits around 9:30 am. From there you can go next door to the Doge's Palace. Don't forget at some point to have a drink or some excellent gelato at one of the outside restaurant tables on the Piazza. The music is corny and the prices high, but you will always remember the hour you spend there.<BR><BR>I have a file on Venice including some ideas for short stays; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Nancy Jul 3rd, 2002 05:25 AM

Thanks to the hordes of Japanese tourists waving both cameras and money around, the ability to negotiate a gondola ride has gone down the lagoon. It's 80 EURO for 40 minutes, "BEST PRICE" and 150 EURO after dark. There are so many Japanese lining up for gondol rides that the gondoliers don't have to hustle business on the bridges anymore. Only hustling going on is for the proverbial "free boat trip to Murano." Just returned from there two weeks ago.

Andrea Jul 3rd, 2002 06:22 AM

Had to pop in to defend gondola rides again. We were there in October & had a very private, romantic ride that is one of our favorite travel memories. (From what I remember, it was about $120 US for an hour at night - at any rate, settle your negotiations on price and LENGTH of tour BEFORE you get in). <BR><BR>Definitely go at night, and definitely hire your own gondola (as opposed to going with a bunch of strangers in a group).<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Laura Jul 3rd, 2002 08:44 AM

A American women working in Venice as a walking tour guide told us that the prices of the gondola ride are set by the government and are published in the paper. Find out from the tourist info or paper, not the front desk. Ours lied to us. We knew what the price was and when the gondolier replied with an inflated price, my husband repeated the price and length of the ride loudly so a nearby cop could here. Wouldn't you know, the gondolier quickly corrected the price. Most people don't know that and get riped off. They are higher after a certain time at night, etc. It was expensive but I glad we did it.

Dee Jul 3rd, 2002 10:20 AM

Regarding the gondola ride, while the gondolier's association has set regulations about size of the group and price, you will find everything is negotiable.<BR><BR>We took a gondola ride in Venice, a total of 7 passengers (3 teenagers), a one hour ride for $90Euro. The stated maximum of passengers is 6. The negotiations started with the gondolier offering us a deal of 2 gondolas for $85 Euro each. Feel free to negotiate, as it worked well for us.<BR><BR>We had a hotel near St. Mark's also and rode on the #82 vaporetto, only two stops from train station as I recollect. Our family of four paid around $10 Euro for the ride. On our return trip to the train we considered a water taxi which would have cost $70 Euro, but opted for the vaporetto. The water taxi traverses the small canals and comes on foot right to your hotel to cart your bags to the boat. So...depending on your priorities the water taxi may be worth the added expense. Dee

x Jul 3rd, 2002 10:26 AM

Anyone know the regs for bringng a doggie friend into the country? Do they need to show a return ticket? Do they qualify for the $400 allowance?

Denise Jul 3rd, 2002 02:21 PM

Disclaimer: This is what I've been told that I will need to do in order to bring a dog with me to Italy from the USA. I have not yet done it so please use this information as a beginning point for you.<BR> <BR>A rabies vaccination must be administered more than 30 days but less than 12 months prior to entry.<BR><BR>Must have an Italian Health Certificate dated within 10 days of departure. The certificate must state that the location of origin has been rabies free for 6 months and should be stamped by a USDA veterinarian. Please note that this must be a USDA veterinarian. It is likely that the vet down the street is NOT a USDA vet. <BR><BR>An import permit is required and can be obtained through the Italian diplomatic and consular representatives and from the Italian Government Travel Office.<BR><BR>Also keep in mind that the airlines have strict rules regarding what size dogs can travel in the cabin and when dogs are allowed in cargo.

Jaideep Jul 3rd, 2002 10:24 PM

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, you guys -- this is a truly helpful group. We're looking forward to the trip!<BR><BR>thanks again,<BR>Jaideep

Livingston Jul 4th, 2002 01:09 PM

If you are arriving at 7:15AM there will be limited traffic that early on the vaporetto. Much later in the morning heading to San Marco (the main tourist area) can be extremely crowded and difficult to handle with luggage.

Howard Jul 4th, 2002 01:22 PM

Elaine's advice about having your camera at the ready when you emerge from Venice train station is right on the mark. It is truly a thrilling sight. <BR>Her advice about what to see is also worth following.<BR>One more suggestion: Just start walking in any direction and get lost in the maze of small streets, narrow alleys and little canals. Getting lost is one of the great joys of a true Venice experience.

Karen Jul 4th, 2002 08:53 PM

Jaideep, I just got back June 18 from my first trip to Italy. I agree with those who suggested when you get off the train,decide if you want a three day vaporetta pass(cost is 18E each person), if you want one, buy it at the information desk at the train station, then go to the spot for the #82 or #1 vaporetta (#1 is slower,more stops but still goes the same route). You will get more culture fix here also I promise you. As for the gondola ride, unless you're determined it's just for two there is another alernative. At7:30 and 8:30pm from the stop right next to the Gritti Palace Hotel. You buy your tickets during the day at any travel agency or the American Express office nearby for 31E each. About 5 boats go out at a time with about six people per boat. The ride was a whole hour, 40 minutes on the Grande Canal and 20 minutes on a side canal. If you get there early, like 7:00 for the 7:30 you can ask one of the gondoliers that are sitting there if you can ride in the one with the musicians. It was great and having other people on the gondola did not bother us at all. But as I said, being with the music is the best. YOu can't beat this for 31E a person.<BR>Karen