Venice parking - leave suitcases?

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice parking - leave suitcases?

I understand the two best choices for parking for Venice are Mestre and Tronchetto. We are thinking of bringing just our carryons into Venice
and leaving the suitcases in the trunk....is one place more secure than the other and would there be much chance of finding the suitcases there when we return...
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM

wally - You could be lucky or unlucky. Hard to say. If you are geting a rental car you may not get one with the option of a real trunk. Could have just a hatchback where it is difficult to really conceal contents.

How long will you be? Can you arrange your trip to get rid of the car at Venice? Can you pare down the packing to get to just a carry on or at least more manageable travel gear?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
ira

Hi W,

Don't leave anything in a car trunk that you can't afford to lose or can't be replaced.

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Wally,
We've left suitcases in the trunk at Tronchetto.
We backed into a space so that the trunk was against a wall. We also made sure that nothing was left in the car...and we didn't open the trunk while we were in the garage.

That said....we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. Yes...the suitcases were in the trunk when we returned 3 days later.

It's always a game of chance...not sure everyone wants to play!!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Hello wally, personally I wouldn't unless I could live with the fact that they might not be there on return to the car. A chance of finding the suitcases on return, sure, but also a chance they will be stolen. Best regards.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM

When we were in Venice, we ditched our rental at Piazza (?)Roma which is next to the Venice Rail station. There was a "left luggage" sort of shop right around the corner from the rental place and we left our suitcases there and just took a small day pack each into the city as we knew we had a bit of a walk from San Marco and were going to have to change B&B after the first night(didn't plan and only booked a few days ahead). The fee was reasonable (maybe $5 per bag) but it was worth it not to have to carry the whole lot for our three day stay.

Just another option to consider.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Just went to check my map of Venice. It's Piazzale Roma where the car rentals are and also on my map is a P. It is just across a canal from Santa Lucia (Venice) rr. station. The TI is there and there is a vaporetto stop there. The luggage leaving shop is right there too. Can't find the name of it in my notes; just that we did it.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Pretty much what I expected.

Irishface, thank you for the tip on storing the suitcases. I may look into that option...but I will probably just take my chances.