Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice or not? That is the question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-or-not-that-is-the-question-1535062/)

2016adventurer Nov 6th, 2017 10:10 AM

Venice or not? That is the question

This is a totally crazy, spontaneous idea but a friend of mine is spending a month in Venice. I am contemplating hopping on a flight to meet her there. We are not close but very simpatico. She speaks Italian and has quite a flair. It's really due to her Facebook posts that I am even considering this trip.

I understand it is acqua Alta season. The airfare is decent and there are lots of Airbnb possibilities. Should I or should I not?

PalenQ Nov 6th, 2017 10:15 AM

High water according to a documentary I just saw is relatively rare. Not a factor for a month stay - you could always do short day trips to nearby gems if high water comes a day or so.

A month in Venice -tiny Venice - not for me - can't you go just part of a month?

marvelousmouse Nov 6th, 2017 10:17 AM

No, I don't think the OP is spending a month in Venice, Palen.

And if you have the money, then yes, definitely. Love Venice!

2016adventurer Nov 6th, 2017 10:17 AM

I would not stay a month. She is there for a month. I would only go for about a week. Thank you for weighing in.

2016adventurer Nov 6th, 2017 10:18 AM

@marvelmouse, the whole trip could be $1500 for me.

2016adventurer Nov 6th, 2017 10:19 AM

In other words, very affordable.

PalenQ Nov 6th, 2017 10:19 AM

Why not go for a week? If high water again that is remote (and also could be quite an experience - not all of Venice is inundated either).

PalenQ Nov 6th, 2017 10:21 AM

https://www.visit-venice-italy.com/a...nice-italy.htm

There are forecasts to consult though not all that fooproof - bring Wellies!

StCirq Nov 6th, 2017 10:30 AM

So go. You have the means to leave if it doesn't work out, right? Speaking Italian and having quite a flair describes thousands of people. Whether your Facebook acqaintance will live up to your expectations no one can say. I speak Italian and have considerable flair, but I'm married and probably too old for you.

I probably wouldn't spend a month in Venice, given that train trips to so many other nearby wonderful places are possible, but it's up to you. I should think a week or two would be plenty.

You cannot reasonably predict the alta acqua. We spent a week in Venice last Christmastime and didn't have a drop, though the city was heaving with tourists and not pleasant on that account. I sure wouldn't plan a vacation around acqua alta.

bussa17 Nov 6th, 2017 10:57 AM

I used to live in Venice an I can easily say that, if you have money and time to spend a month there, go for it!

Acqua alta is not a problem, in 4 yrs I struggle with it 5 times the most!
Venice is just too beautiful. In a month you won't run out ov things to see and do, plus it's a big university town so you ll meet a lot of ppl

xcountry Nov 6th, 2017 11:05 AM

"It's really due to her Facebook posts that I am even considering this trip."

Maybe that wasn't her posting. Could have been the Russians. I wouldn't risk it.

RJD Nov 6th, 2017 11:30 AM

Venice is magical. Great food, great sights around ever corner. Stay as long as you can afford to. It takes a while to get used to but it can be tremendously rewarding.

2016adventurer Nov 6th, 2017 12:00 PM

I am only going for a week. I have been there once for a day. The friend is really there. We are PMing about it.

CatyL Nov 6th, 2017 12:06 PM

If you have the money, and the time, you should be packed, by now!

This is a lovely opportunity.

I've been to Venice, twice, but only during the late summer/early fall. A visit during the colder months is high on my "to do" list.

If the water is a little high, wear boots/galoshes. That's what you would do at home, anyway. And, when you see the ancient, awesome architecture around you, you won't be paying much attention to your feet.

If time permits, take the train for (at least) a day in Verona. (Sigh)

But, I've taken too much of your time. Call your friend, and make arrangements!

Caty

tuscanlifeedit Nov 6th, 2017 03:13 PM

Go!

michele_d Nov 6th, 2017 03:18 PM

Why is this even a question? You should be half way to the airport by now! Have a great time.

We spent one week in Venice on our first trip. We loved exploring all the little nooks and crannies of this gorgeous city. We got trapped inside St Mark's Cathedral during a torrential downpour. We hopped up on tables, pulled our knees up to our chest (the floor drains were backing up due to the amount of rain coming down) and waited it out. We exited to a colorful sea of umbrellas filling the square. I have so many great memories of this beautiful city.

Dukey1 Nov 6th, 2017 03:45 PM

"This church was built more than 900 years ago..." and no high tides have swept it away. OK, so you have to pay to turn some of the lights on so you can "view" yet another priceless work of art which the Venetians <B>stole</B> from somebody else. The city is slowly sinking. GO NOW!!!

Peter_S_Aus Nov 6th, 2017 10:59 PM

Go for it. We have spent about eight months total in Venice and love it. Next visit is May next year.

PalenQ Nov 7th, 2017 06:55 AM

Venice sinking under weight of tourism? And what about MOSES project meant to help prevent that - corruption and such made it an expesnive boondoggle.

Plans are that tourists more than 100 kg in weight will be denied entry I hear!

AlessandraZoe Nov 7th, 2017 08:12 AM

Go, go, go.

You are going to be able to SEE Venice without a zillion tourists.

az