Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice or Lake Como (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-or-lake-como-890407/)

scandalouslj May 11th, 2011 05:04 PM

Venice or Lake Como

We are going to Italy (never been) for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and have the option of spending 2 days in Venice and 2 in Lake Como, or 4 days in Venice. What would you recc?

Johnangiulo May 11th, 2011 05:09 PM

FOUR IN VENICE WITHOUT QUESTION!

raincitygirl May 11th, 2011 05:17 PM

I second the above: Four days in Venice.
I have just returned from Venice, it was my second time and I can't wait to go back.
However, the first time I went it was July and I would never do that again! Too crowded and too hot.

NYCFoodSnob May 11th, 2011 05:57 PM

It always amazes me when people ask questions like this and NEVER mention the month of their travel. One would think weather matters little on a honeymoon. I guess it could be true if you plan to spend the entire time in bed.

ira May 12th, 2011 11:59 AM

Hi S,

For a first-time visitor, definitely Venice.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

((I))

Jean May 12th, 2011 06:30 PM

The journey between Venice and, say, Bellagio would take at least 5 hours, so it would be 2 days Venice, more than a half day in transit, and 1 day plus a few hours Bellagio.

As some have mentioned, the time of year would make a difference to me. Also, because Lake Como is close and easy to reach from Milan, it gets a lot of weekenders in high season, so the day of the week would matter to me too.

scandalouslj May 17th, 2011 01:04 PM

Thanks Guys, The month would be sept, we would be in Venice and/or Como Sept 20th-23rd.

Paul1950 May 20th, 2011 11:18 AM

4 in Venice. Lake Como is pretty and certainly worth a visit, but not prettier than hundreds of other lakes around the world.

There is nothing on earth like Venice--it is a unique world treasure.

Also, on my honeymoons, I've liked to be in one place a bit more than moving about from place to place, checking into and out of hotels, getting transport to and from hotels/stations, etc. Though that is just my personal preference.

deladeb May 20th, 2011 11:42 AM

Another vote for Venice. It is magical. (I've been to both)

DRJ May 20th, 2011 12:58 PM

Returned two days ago from ten days in Venice. It wasn't enough time.

alihutch May 20th, 2011 01:51 PM

Lake Como is the most romantic place I know....would actually say 4 days there....

uhoh_busted May 20th, 2011 01:57 PM

Save Lake Como for your 5th wedding anniversary :-)

scandalouslj May 21st, 2011 07:29 AM

Thnks guys, ended up booking Venice for 4 days!

tarquin May 21st, 2011 08:10 AM

Wise decision.

nytraveler May 21st, 2011 12:26 PM

Where else are you going?

What are your interests?

Venice and Lake Como are both wonderful - but it's apples and oranges.

Do you want a unique city with incredible museums and churches and ancient outlying islands to explore? The height of romance?

Or do you want luxe accommodations on a quiet lake with natural beauty and time to just unwind?