Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice now -your best ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-now-your-best-ideas-142693/)

joan Jan 6th, 2003 07:42 AM

Venice now -your best ideas

I'm leaving for Venice on Jan. 22nd. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything to do, eat, etc.? I've been there before, but want your best ideas. Thanks very much.Joan

Sue Jan 6th, 2003 07:45 AM

Lucky you - I wish it was me!<BR><BR>For ideas on where to eat, I'd go to www.slowtrav.com and follow the links to the various restaurant lists. We especially liked the ones Shannon recommended.<BR><BR>At this time of year what you do may depend upon the weather, but our favourite is just wandering the back streets.

pam Jan 6th, 2003 07:58 AM

Since you've been there before I don't know what else you have not seen or know about but I will suggest a few things we discovered in the last days of our week there:<BR>Campo San Margherita-we really liked the area and just wallked all over the place. There is an open air market, lots of shops, Venetian life going on all around you. It seems like a young, hip and somewhat alternative neighborhood. <BR><BR>The ghetto(old and new): we went to the Jewish Museum there. There are some beautiful artifacts there and to know the history of the Jews in Venice is moving. This was the first jewish &quot;ghetto&quot;. The story of the man who refused to &quot;give names&quot; is one we all should know.<BR><BR>San Polo seemed like an area we wanted to explore more. We had some good pizza at Ae Oche. It seems very student oriented. There were lots of little places to eat there. I think Zucca is there which friends of ours say has good vegetarian dishes.<BR><BR>Maybe you've already been to Murano and Burano..if not we thought the Glass Museum was worth the trip even if glass is not your thing. We had a wonderful day in Burano and included the Lace Museum. Lunch was grilled shrimp at Da Romana. Since you will be there in January you will probably eat inside which is quite a treat!<BR><BR>No matter how silly it might seem every trip to Venice will include coffee and toast at Florian(before the music starts). The inside is so over the top and the food comes to your table on a silver tray. If nothing else go for coffee($5 euros).<BR><BR>The concerts at the church in Campo San Stefano looked interesting. We ran out of time but thought we'd do it when we return.<BR><BR>Ah..Venice..say hello for me! <BR><BR>

Eye Spy Jan 6th, 2003 08:03 AM

I posted this a few days back for someone else. Hope this helps! Just walk around and<BR> lose yourselves in the small streets and alleyways. If the weather is OK, watch<BR> the sunset from Caffe Florian or Quadri in Piazza San Marco or go to the bar at<BR> the roof of the Danieli Hotel, just around the corner from Piazza San Marco and<BR> Palazzo Ducale. That is very special. If you have time, try to pop inside briefly<BR> at: San Zaccaria (around the corner from the Bridge of Sighs) (lovely Bellini<BR> altarpiece on your left as you walk in this church not many visit); Santa Maria<BR> Gloriosa dei Frari (for Titian's 'Assumption of the Virgin') and Santi Giovanni e<BR> Paolo ('San Zanipolo'). These three churches are very rich in art and Venetian<BR> history. The only one that charges a modest entrance fee is the Frari. For the<BR> rest, just wander about without a map. You are on an island so you can't get<BR> lost and never be found! Going to San Zaccaria and then 10 minutes walk<BR> further north to San Zanipolo is a nice stroll. You most certainly will experience<BR> 'acqua alta' (high tide) at that time of year so be prepared to walk on planks in<BR> certain parts of the city (many hotels have rubber boots for their guests to use).<BR> And the Venetians are very polite in taking turns on the more 'popular<BR> thoroughfares' when the streets are flooded and only one person can pass at a<BR> time. Post your report when you get back. Have fun!

elaine Jan 6th, 2003 08:40 AM

HI<BR>I have a long file on Venice. It is mostly geared toward the first-time visitor, but there may be a nugget or two of info that would be helpful.<BR>If you'd like to see it, email me

a--z Jan 6th, 2003 09:32 AM

For good suggestions, review Elaine's file (poster above).