Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice(Mestre) options - feedback? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-mestre-options-feedback-641763/)

leahinsc Aug 25th, 2006 03:14 AM

Venice(Mestre) options - feedback?

Have checked Trip Advisor but anyone have any thoughts on any of the following:
Hotel Roberta
Hotel Cris
Hotel Adria

ira Aug 25th, 2006 04:40 AM

Hi L,

Are you sure that you want to stay in Mestre instead of in Venice?

What's your budget?

((I))

leahinsc Aug 25th, 2006 04:42 AM

we'd like to keep it under $150 euros per nite and it seems like our options are limited at that rate in Venice itself.

Xander Aug 25th, 2006 04:55 AM

I stayed in Mestre once and would just as soon skip Venice as to stay there again.

ira Aug 25th, 2006 06:08 AM

Hi L,

Is that $150 or 150E?

((I))

missypie Aug 25th, 2006 06:16 AM

For just two people, or more?

suze Aug 25th, 2006 06:20 AM

I would search harder to find a budget place IN Venice. Try the area around the train station.

MaureenB Aug 25th, 2006 07:29 AM

When are you going? Personally, I wouldn't visit without staying within Venice proper. You won't get the true feel of Venice unless you wander its streets night and day, IMHO. Unless you're very late in planning, I'll bet you could find a little hotel for $150 or less.

That's about what we paid for the Hotel Riva last May. It's only a one-star, and the bathroom is small, but it's very clean, charming, and located at the confluence of two canals near San Marco. So, if you can get a corner room, you can sit in one chair, while looking out two windows at two different canals, and hear singing gondoliers. Now, that's my idea of being in Venice! We paid 130EUR, which included 10 extra for the canal view room and a simple breakfast of rolls and good cappuccino.

Or, the Casa Rezzonico (which we had also considered for this visit, as its rates are in the range of the Hotel Riva), Dorsoduro, Fondamenta Gherardini 2813, www.casarezzonico.it. My daughter stayed there during Carnevale. It is in a quiet, out-of-the-way location, near a small campo, close to the Accademia. It has an attractive garden area in the center, which some rooms overlook, and where breakfast buffet is served. A good budget choice.

Try hostels.com and other sites like that, because you can find simple little hotels there, too. Keep looking!

Statia Aug 25th, 2006 08:01 AM

Here is another vote for Venice proper over Mestre. Have you checked into renting an apartment? I have easily rented apartments in Venice for less than 150 euors per day.

Scullysioux Aug 25th, 2006 08:46 AM

Take a look at Locanda Fiorita www.locandafiorita.com

We stayed there and it is under $150. The rooms are very small, but it is nice enough and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Great location too, near the Academia vaporetto stop.

LJ Aug 25th, 2006 08:55 AM

We can highly recommend Hotel Tre Archi ([email protected]) in Canneregio,right on the canal, with pretty inner courtyard views or canal views, between the university and the Jewish Ghetto. Quiet, clean, attractive simple rooms. Nice residential area, just off the beaten track and within your budget.

dutyfree Aug 25th, 2006 09:31 AM

Did you look at previous threads on hotels in Mestre? Sorry gang but if you cannot afford or find a hotel in Venice proper-I still say that the Hotel Bologna in Mestre(a european Best Western) that is 8 minutes across the lagoon is the best spot. Yes, staying in Venice is fabulous but for those who cannot find their price or have last minute travel this is the place. You simply cross the street,hop on the train across the lagoon and you are in Venice.The fare is so cheap and the convenience is wonderful-especially if you have to leave VERY early the next morning for a flight out of the VCE airport.

basingstoke1 Aug 25th, 2006 09:53 AM

The Hotel Doni is well within your price range. It is very well located just a few alleys from St.Mark's square. It is a simple, clean, family run place.

Scully's suggestion of the Locanda Fiorita is also good and in your price range. We enjoyed our stay there and the location is great. the Fiorita also has an annex nearby and althought the annex is not particularly attractive on the outside, the rooms are very nice except for one on the top floor where the slanted ceiling does not permit standing upright other than in a very small part of the room.

annabelle2 Aug 25th, 2006 10:00 AM

Here's a reasonable B&B in Venice (Dorsoduro neighborhood, which is great):
Ca' Turelli
3 of us shared a nice triple w/bath there a year ago May for 120 Euros.

We booked it through www.veniceby.com
Look under B&Bs for Ca' Turelli. Prices may be up of course, but still would be reasonable.

Another well-priced B&B that comes up on Fodors from time to time is al Campaniel www.alcampaniel.com, I believe.

We didn't stay there but Marco was very helpful and it looked fine from the website and many fodorites have recommended it.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 25th, 2006 10:06 AM

There are sooo many decent places to stay in Venice for 150 Euro or less; you can begin by searching here for Venice hotels, or at venere.com, or veniceby.com.

There are just too many good choices to justify staying in Mestre.

We paid 150 E for a deluxe room with breakfast at the BW Hotel Ala. They offer good rates with direct communication with the hotel via their website. I would guess that a standard room might be a bit cheaper.

Byrd Aug 25th, 2006 11:11 AM

In April we took a last-minute trip to Italy, and, with just a few days to make arrangements, I was frantically searching for a place in Venice.

I finally located Locanda Correr, where we paid 155 euro per night.

It's upstairs off one of those tiny little "streets", and has, I think, just five rooms.

The rooms were very nice, and newly decorated, and the breakfast was simple, but tasty.

It's not on a canal, and the view is rooftops, but the location was excellent.

Anyway, you might consider this little hotel.

www.locandacorrer.com

Byrd