Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Marco Polo Airport rendezvous point

Sep 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Two of us are arriving at approximately the same time from two different US cities. Will we be able to wait in baggage claim to rendezvous before moving into customs? Or will we have to meet after baggage claim and customs? If so, where is a good spot to meet? I can't find a detailed map of the airport.
Sep 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Can't help with your specific request, HW - but have often met up with someone else at unfamiliar places, and it's easy if you are both carrying mobile phones.

Just text your position and name a spot nearby that is easily identifiable, then wait for a response from the other person. Hasn't failed me yet! Di
Sep 18th, 2011, 01:48 AM

here's the best i could find for a plan of Maro polo:

http://www.venicebanana.com/eng/mapaer.htm

you could swap flight nos and the first one to get there waits by the baggage reclaim for the other flight - from memory there are seats and loos in baggage reclaim. alternatively go and wait in a cafe on airside and wait for the Call!

the first one to get there could also get transport or other passes from the info desk right outside the exit from baggage reclaim while they were waiting.
Sep 18th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We won't have phones, so the current plan is to wait at baggage claim and proceed through customs together. I appreciate the floorplan.
Sep 19th, 2011, 03:17 AM

I wouldn't wait in the baggage hall - there are loos & a few seats but it's pretty spartan. I'd go to the loo there first then go out & wait at the cafe. You don't say when you are going but if it should be warm, the nicest spot with the most seats is just outside - otherwise there's just a fairly cramped counter area inside (on the ground floor, where'll you'll exit). Just turn towards the right when exiting. It's not a big place, you can't go wrong.

It can be pretty busy, though, so if you will be waiting for more than half an hour or so, I'd get a baggage trolley and go down to the cafe by the Alilaguna boat stop, which is about 10 minutes walk away - it would be quieter and more relaxing. Assuming you will be getting a boat (either Alilaguna or taxi) and not the land bus into town ?