Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice Luggage Question? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-luggage-question-694666/)

gallerygirl Apr 6th, 2007 08:40 PM

Venice Luggage Question?

We will be arriving by train in Venice. Since we will be traveling through Europe for one month, we will have two large 28" suitcases. Can we successfully ride the Vaparetto with these? Is there an extra charge? Does anyone know about luggage storage at the train station? Thanks so much for everyone's expertise!

janisj Apr 6th, 2007 08:52 PM

&quot;<i>Since we will be traveling through Europe for one month, we will have two large 28&quot; suitcases</i>&quot;

Not answering your question - but me personally would HATE schlepping a 28 inch bag around Europe. Just because you are traveling for a month doesn't mean you need to take the kitchen sink . . . .

margyb Apr 6th, 2007 08:57 PM

will you be traveling by car or by train? I found it nearly impossible to handle even a 26 inch suitcase on the train and most rental cars won't fit 2 large suitcases, unless maybe you put one in the back seat. If you need to bring that much, you may want to consider 2 smaller suitcases, but what I prefer to do is take one 22 inch suitcase and pack a thin, foldup duffle bag. When we come home, I put all of my clothes in the duffle bag and then put my purchases in the suitcase.

margy

Sassafrass Apr 6th, 2007 09:22 PM

There is luggage storage at the train station in Venice. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was very cheap. I am older and also find a 28&quot; suitcase too much, but our best friends travel with us and do it. They are charged extra by taxis and draw severe looks when it is stuck in the door as the train tries to move. I pretend not to notice.

Getting it on and off the vaporetto is no harder than hefting it up and down the narrow steps on trains, but you may be squeezed when they are full. I don't think there is an extra charge. If there is, it isn't much. Enjoy Venice.

prhirsch Apr 7th, 2007 03:35 AM

You can easily manage your luggage on a vaparetto, and you will have plenty of company. we were prepared to hire a water taxi for our family of 5 including strollers, until we actually saw a vaparetto. Everybody just piles on with all their stuff. We saved about 80 euros by taking the vaparetto. also, if your going to be using the vaparetto alot, consider getting a pass.

ira Apr 7th, 2007 04:35 AM

Hi gg,

&gt;Since we will be traveling through Europe for one month, we will have two large 28&quot; suitcases.

I suggest that you pack both of your suitcases and walk them a few times around the block - at least 1km.

Then carry them up and down 2 flights of stairs.

Then left them over your head 2-3 times.

If you feel comfortable doing that, then you don't need to learn to pack lighter.

My Lady Wife and I put all that we need for a month into 1 26&quot; and 1 22&quot;.

If it weren't that we needed space for souvenirs, we could take 2 22&quot;. :)

&gt;Can we successfully ride the Vaparetto with these?

Yes. You are supposed to pay extra for large suitcases, but the rule is rarely enforced.

((I))

GBC Apr 7th, 2007 04:36 AM

prhirsch is right. It is not difficult to do the vaparetto with luggage. The access is wide, smooth and pretty level. As noted, check out a pass at the very beginning.

That said, I should caution you that with bags that large (and heavy) the greatest diffuculty you will encounter will be going up/down the steps all over Europe.

Girlspytravel Apr 7th, 2007 05:16 AM

As I've said on a previous post-I don't know why one would take an outrageously expensive water taxi to the train station, (or elsewhere, for that matter) when everyone, all Venetians, trundle all manner of bags, huge boxes, crates, carts with boxes on them onto the vaporetto to go to their destination.

If each of you has one suitcase, then there is no problem bringing them on board. There is luggage storage at the train station.

And as far as that goes, I always take a 26&quot; suitcase with me to Venice, regardless of whether I'm going for a week or more-and it is fully packed-I manage just fine-and I have been in Italy for over a month with a large suitcase and managed to get it off and on trains, boats, planes and bridges-so I'm sure you'll manage too-there are two of you, after all, and you can help each other get them on the train-if you get on the Eurostar in Venice-it starts there, so get there early so you can get to the luggage storage space first, before everyone else piles on with their luggage-that's always worked for me.

suze Apr 7th, 2007 08:51 AM

You'll be fine on the vaporetto because you just roll-on.

I would be more worried about the rest of the month, if you are doing any train travel(?)...

that's an awful large suitcase to deal with if you plan to move locations frequently - up and down steps, over bridges, escaltors, onto trains, into taxis, in hotel rooms, etc.

suze Apr 7th, 2007 08:52 AM

oh, and to answer your question ;-)

yes there is luggage storage at the train station

yes my understanding is that there is a suitcase charge for the vaporetto but it is not always enforced.

NeoPatrick Apr 7th, 2007 09:28 AM

Ironically it is much harder to get suitcases on and off a water taxi than it is a vaparetto. The vaparetto is virtually level with the dock and I often roll mine right onto the vaparetto, then stay in the center part with my suitcase. There are no steps and no lifting required.

And no, there is no extra charge for one suitcase per person (as well as smaller hand luggage) on the vaparetto.

To be honest, we traveled with two young ladies who had huge 28&quot; suitcases and we never had a problem. When getting on a train, one person gets on the train and the other hands them up. They stay at the end of the train in luggage racks. Of course they roll, so normally it is no harder to roll a 28&quot; fully loaded suitcase than it is to roll a 22&quot; one. I know lots of people who are more comfortable with two smaller suitcases, but frankly I'd prefer one big one to that, as it frees up a hand, and it is easier to maneuver one than two. Of course if the suitcase is simply too heavy for you to lift, then you really have a problem.

Most train stations have a left luggage check point, if you want to leave your luggage while you tour a city for the day. Coin lockers have pretty much become a thing of the past.

janisj Apr 7th, 2007 09:41 AM

I don't recommend each person take 2 smaller bags instead of the 28's. I recommend each person take just one bag -- a 22 inch if they want to do carry-on only, or a 24 if they want to check them.

There are lots of problems w/ huge bags besides water taxis/vaporettos. Getting on/off trains, storing in the car trunk, finding space for them in small European hotel rooms, up and down stairs, etc.

hpeabody Aug 11th, 2007 07:33 PM

bookmarking

shellio Aug 11th, 2007 09:17 PM

Aside from the issue of vaporettos, have you considered the bridges you may have to cross, which in many cases entails lifting that suitcase up and down a rather steep flight of stairs?

And depending on where you are staying, there may or may not be an elevator and/or help with getting it to a room on an upper floor.

I assume there are still porters at the train station who can wheel your luggage to your destination, but I can't say I know for sure.

shellio Aug 11th, 2007 09:18 PM

Well, I just noticed the original post is several months old...fooled again!

I wonder how they managed.

skrboyd Aug 12th, 2007 10:05 AM

&quot;My Lady Wife and I put all that we need for a month into 1 26&quot; and 1 22&quot;

Ira and all other experienced travelers: I've obviously missed something regarding how to pack for extended travel (i.e., 2 weeks +). How do you do it? Take quick dry items and hand was as you go along? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be in Italy for 2 weeks this fall and could use some help! Thanks in advance. Susan

janisj Aug 12th, 2007 10:51 AM

skrboyd: Thera re a LOT of threads about how to pack light -- unfortunately, the search function is less than useful.

here is just one thread that might give you some ideas

http://www.fodorstravel.com/forums/t...p;tid=35009260

suze Aug 12th, 2007 11:38 AM

Susan~
I pack clothes as if for 1 week, no matter how long the trip, then deal with washing things as/if needed. Either by hand in the sink with hotel shampoo or using a laundry matt or drop-off service one time.

Since you are traveling in fall, I would rely on 'layers' to accommodate varying weather. And be willing to wear things more than once between washings.

skrboyd Aug 13th, 2007 11:50 AM

Thanks so much for the &quot;packing light&quot; replies. I look forward to traveling with a smaller bag!

kfusto Aug 13th, 2007 12:49 PM

My group of 8 will be taking a 2 week trip to Italy this fall and we have agreed to all do carry on only.

For me this is a 22&quot; and a medium sized backpack. For my husband, it means a 22&quot; and a soft Totes fold up garment bag.

I will drop off laundry mid point to be laundered/dry cleaned, buy some of my toiletries in Italy, limit myself to a color scheme of black and camel and focus on fabrics that travel well.

We were stopped getting on the vaporetto from the train station two years ago with one 26&quot; each and made to pay a supplement. No big deal but a pain. This time I will pay more attention.