Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice - looking for accommodations recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-looking-for-accommodations-recommendation-117457/)

Rosanne Apr 8th, 2001 05:24 PM

Venice - looking for accommodations recommendation

My husband and I traveling to Italy in May with another couple and would like to spend one night in Venice. Anyone have any recommendations for a moderately priced hotel or locanda in San Marco (ensuite)? Thanks<BR>Rosanne

Deb Apr 8th, 2001 07:20 PM

My husband &amp; I are staying at Savoia e Jolanda near San Marco in May - it's supposed to be great. And the rate is about $150-175 per night (pretty good for a nice hotel in Italy). If you want some Fodorite feedback, put part of the hotel name (ex. Savoia) in the search box. However, regardless of your choice, you really should book something ASAP. Good luck!!

Susan Apr 9th, 2001 08:17 AM

The Paginelli - right on the Grand Canel 2 blocks past St. Marks. Small, family run...lovely and clean. I think it was about $150 a night.<BR>Email me directly if you want their fax or phone &amp; I'll send it to you.<BR>S

Bob Apr 9th, 2001 11:39 AM

We stayed at the Antica Locanda Al Gambero in Venice in late 1999. Located on the Calle dei Fabbri between Rialto and St Marks. Rate was 210000L per room per night including breakfast. Rooms were small but completely remodeled recently and new baths. We will stay there again. Phone is 39 041 5224384 Fax is 39 041 520 0431 if this interests you. We originally found the hotel on this site from another Fodorite.

Char Apr 25th, 2001 08:56 PM

Stayed last month at a great little nugget called Bisanzio. Very close to St. Marks'. Nice staff, good breakfast. <BR>Bisanzio.com

JIm Mohundro Apr 25th, 2001 10:44 PM

I'll second the Bisanzio. We stayed there three nights last summer. It was not cheap @ aprox $200 US/night, but the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly and the generous breakfast can save you buying lunch. <BR> <BR>It is also nicely close to Piazza San Marco and its vaporetto stop, yet quiet. Another benefit is that it is affiliated with Best Western so you can get rates and availability on Best Western's 800 number here in the US (but the hotel, when you get there, is not in the least like a Best Western. <BR> <BR>Good luck. Venezia should be beautiful in May wherever you stay.

JoeBoston Apr 28th, 2001 03:16 PM

We just spent 4 terrific days in Venice at the Locanda Art Deco Hotel. It just opened a few months ago, and is absolutely wonderful. Tucked away a few blocks from San Marco, with beautiful decorated rooms and baths. Probably about 10 rooms total. opening special was only about $100 US per nite. <BR>You'll love Venice. Feel free to email me for any other info.

joe g Apr 29th, 2001 05:04 AM

A very reasonably priced & well located hotel is the Hotel Galleria. It's in the Dorsoduro district, however situated steps away from the Accademia bridge over which you can walk & then you're in the San Marco district. <BR> <BR>Galleria is small with only 10 rooms & not all have bathroom ensuite. It's definitely a budget accommadation -- no elevator, walk up stairs & hallway is replete with "old world charm", but it's a good value. And as well as being close to the bridge, the Accademia vaporetto stop is on that side of the canal as well.

Marge Apr 29th, 2001 09:56 AM

joe g: Regarding Hotel Galleria how would one to the hotel from airport. Would appreciate your help. Marge

Meg Apr 29th, 2001 03:40 PM

Splurge and take a private water taxi to your hotel. With four of you sharing the cost it's not that expensive at all. There is nothing more spectacular than arriving in Venice by boat. Skip the gondola ride and do the private taxi. It's a once in a lifetime experience. Also, consider staying more than one day, it's a city like no others.

Pat Apr 29th, 2001 03:47 PM

Try a search on this forum for "Venice Hotels". There have been multiple postings on various hotels. Mentioned on this forum: Hotel Ala, Flora,La CAlcina, San Stefano, San Barnaba (or Barbara), al Piave, La REsidenza and on and on. Good luck!

Linda Cotton Apr 29th, 2001 05:16 PM

I've read good things about the Hotel Metropole, and the Hotel Concordia. <BR> <BR>I'll be there in June, and am trying to get in at the Metropole. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

frank May 2nd, 2001 07:34 PM

In Venice, we always stay at the Concordia. Its right on St Marks Square(literally within 20') and the owners are very helpful, speak excellent egnlish, and are excellent host. The hotel is not too large(54 rooms)all with a great view. The breakfast spread is excellent as is the lunch menu. Your right next to the Vapporetto stops and where the Gondola's dock. You also get to enjoy the nightly music in St Marks Squar. We'll be there in June and can't wait...have a great trip. <BR>Arrevederci!