Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice - Leaving from Mestre Station at 8 am (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-leaving-from-mestre-station-at-8-am-988640/)

Saalehaa Aug 14th, 2013 11:28 PM

Venice - Leaving from Mestre Station at 8 am

We are planning to stay near Rialto Bridge in Venice in first week of September. We are reaching Venice Santa Lucia Station at 11 pm and leaving two days later at 8:05 am from Venice Mestre Station.

I am trying to figure out how to get to Mestre station from Rialto bridge in time. We are traveling on a very limited budget. Please help!!!

kappa1 Aug 15th, 2013 12:02 AM

Seems simple. Take a vaporetto to Santa Lucia ( or walk if you can, with your luggagge, crossing the bridges, etc in order to save €7.00 single ticket per person unless you have a valid vaporetto pass ). From Santa Lucia, take a train for 1 stop to Mestre.

kappa1 Aug 15th, 2013 12:03 AM

All could take about 1 hour or less.

bilboburgler Aug 15th, 2013 12:47 AM

You could also take the bus between stations, I'm not sure of the prices but it will be similar to the train and with a tad more walking, but you can find out when you get to Venice Santa Lucia Station as the bus station is just over to the right as you exit the station

adrienne Aug 15th, 2013 01:09 AM

There's a 7:43 train from Santa Lucia to Mestre, arriving 7:53. If you don't think this will give you enough time there's a train at 7:34 from Santa Lucia.

You couldn't have booked your train from Santa Lucia so you don't have to switch?

Man_in_seat_61 Aug 15th, 2013 03:40 AM

Most trains from Mestre have actually started from Venice's main and central Santa Lucia station, 15-20 minute's walk from the Rialto Bridge.

Can you not just get on at SL instead?

kappa1 Aug 15th, 2013 04:17 AM

Good point, not all but most trains depart Santa Lucia and go farther always with a stop at Mestre. I cannot locate the 08h05 train though. What date and where are you heading for?

Pepper_von_snoot Aug 15th, 2013 05:59 AM

If you are staying near the Rialto, your best bet would be to take Vaporetto Line 1 from Rialto, Mercato, or Ca' Doro (closest stops near your hotel) to Ferrovia.

You are now right in front of Santa Lucia Station.

As noted above, many trains leaving Venice stop in Mestre.

When you are in Venice, go to Santa Lucia Station and ask at the ticket counter. The agent there will direct you.

Thin

bendigo Aug 15th, 2013 06:10 AM

When we travelled I booked tix on Trenitalia, and despite my best endeavours, could only seem to book train tix ex Mestre.

The train however started at Santa Lucia.

When we arrived I checked at the Santa Lucia station, and was tole that there was no problem joining the train there, even though my tix had Mestre as the departure station.

If your train starts from SL, as most do, I don't think you have a problem at all.

We also stayed at Rialto, and just caught the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal, including with all our luggage on arrival and departure.

kappa1 Aug 15th, 2013 07:45 AM

> your best bet would be to take Vaporetto Line 1 from Rialto, Mercato, or Ca' Doro ..

And the faster No.2 from Rialto only. It does not stop at Ca d'Oro nor at (Rialto-) Mercato.