Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice in the Rain - Tips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-in-the-rain-tips-646481/)

mw2006 Sep 14th, 2006 07:29 AM

Venice in the Rain - Tips?

Ok, so I know I can't trust the weather channel, but it says rain every day in Venice for the next 10 days. We arrive next Friday (the 22nd).

Any suggestions for the best things to do when it rains? We'd planned to just wander around, but maybe that isn't the wisest given the forecast.

We'll be happy just sitting in a cafe sipping wine and relaxing, but any other ideas would also be appreciated! Also, any recommended bars or cafes for sitting and whiling away a rainy day?

Thank you!

mw2006 Sep 14th, 2006 07:31 AM

Oops, forget to select Italy as the topic for this thread. I reposted. Sorry for the duplicate!

nytraveler Sep 14th, 2006 10:43 AM

You weren't planning on going into the Cathedral or any of the churches? You have no interest in visiting the Doge's palace? No interest in any of the many museums?

No interest in Torcello? Or Murano?

Statia Sep 14th, 2006 10:46 AM

I've been fortunate to not endure any rain on my trips to Venice, but did want to say that our last trip called for rain every single day of the week. However, we never saw a drop, although it was overcast most days.

So, you might have the same experience.

Ann1 Sep 14th, 2006 10:48 AM

Put on a slicker and sneakers and go out and do everything you would do if the sun were out. Go to all of the museums, get up early and see the sunrise and the things NYtraveler mentioned.

LoveItaly Sep 14th, 2006 01:22 PM

Hi mw, I have so often been in Venice when it is raining and also thunder and electrical storms. Fantastic IMO!! I am one of those with strange hair, rain makes it better, so I don't worry about an umbrella or a hood or a rain hat. But that is not true for most people. The calles (ally's) are so narrow that umbrellas are a problem so if getting your hair wet is a problem for you do wear something with a hood or some type of head covering.

I have often just wandered around in Venice during storms, so don't discount the beauty and joy of doing that. And once inside of a cafe, after emptying water from ones shoes, taking off a very wet trench coat, sitting down and ordering a bottle of red wine and a winter meal, it is paradiso!.

Neopolitan Sep 14th, 2006 01:46 PM

Other than not being able to get a suntan, I don't see a lot of difference if it is raining or not. I take a rainjacket and an umbrella and I'm set to go. There is no reason to let rain interfere with most destinations, other than a day at the beach.

suze Sep 14th, 2006 02:33 PM

It wouldn't change a thing I planned to do in Venice. A hat or umbrella with a light jacket and I'd do the same thing I always do... wander around the city.

missypie Sep 14th, 2006 02:36 PM

Make sure you take at least two pair of comfortable shoes.

dorkforcemom Sep 14th, 2006 03:09 PM

We enjoyed Venice in the rain - needed rubber boots which, fortunately, our hotel loaned us...because the water rose to our thighs!

Happy travels!

mwatson Sep 15th, 2006 08:47 AM

Your thighs? are you kidding? We are going in April which I think is the rainy month. My mother inlaw is only 4'9'' she'll drown for sure. ;)

missypie Sep 15th, 2006 08:58 AM

Water to your thighs??? My goodness - I'd have a hard time braving that!

Seriously, mw2006, we all hope that the weather channel is wrong and that maybe all you get is a sprinkle or two. But you (and everone else, for that matter) should think about what if the worst should happen and you have several days where it is just pouring rain. I mean, most people can't cafe-sit for that long!

Be prepared, clothes-wise, of course. One of those dollar store disposable ponchos won't do in a driving rain. We bought nice rain coasts from REI that roll up into a small, lightweight bag.

You might want to "save" the Doge's Palace and any museums on your list for the truly rainy days.

kappa Sep 15th, 2006 09:11 AM

I thing Dorkmom is mixing up rain with acqua alta, famous Venice flooding caused mainly by tide. I had that in December 2005. Fun !

Take a look at my album. Water got really thigh high at and around Piazza San Marco.

http://tinyurl.com/owjsx

BikeTraveler Sep 15th, 2006 09:38 AM

I've been to Venice when it rained all night long, and in the morning the city was flooded, we had to walk on wooden platforms. No fun, but still a great experience!

lyb Sep 15th, 2006 09:49 AM

kappa,

i remember seeing your pictures before, still fun to look at them again. Great Shots....just how cold was it? Was it one of those damp colds that goes right to your bones?

SuzieC Sep 15th, 2006 09:55 AM

My tip would be a day on vacation, in the rain in Venice is a WHOLE LOT BETTER than a day of sunshine wherever you live (and work.

Have a great time...think of how romantic!!!

kappa Sep 15th, 2006 10:04 AM

Rain or not, the flooding occurs in the morning and water receeds usually by noon. Rain might help flooding though.

lyb, I don't remember the exact tempreture but it was not freezing/damping cold that's hard to bare at all. Those cheap platic long boots got holes by the time I got to Piazza San Marco from my hotel in Cannaregio, wetting my trousers a bit but I still kept walking for a couple of hours at least, took the elevator up to Campanille, took a vaporetto back to our hotel. I don't remember feeling that uncomfortable so I think it was not that cold. P.San Marco under water, yet sky was blue, it was so surreal.

lyb Sep 15th, 2006 10:19 AM

>>San Marco under water, yet sky was blue, it was so surreal. <<

I noticed that...loved it. I was wondering just how well those boots held up...if anything they make for great pictures. :)

mw2006 Sep 17th, 2006 06:42 PM

Thanks everyone! Looks like the forecast has changed - no rain.

I wouldn't care if it did rain, was just wondering what other people have done in the rain and what our best options might be.

We'll be on our honeymoon, so for this leg of the trip (first stop and only 1.5 days) we aren't terribly focused on seeing everything. Really just want to soak it in a bit and relax.

Thanks again!!

LoveItaly Sep 17th, 2006 07:43 PM

Your honeymoon!! Wishing you a beautiful time in Italy mw and a lovely honeymoon in Italy. May you and your spouse enjoy a long and joyful life together. Best wishes to both of you.