Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice in November weather-wise? Gritti's std rooms worth the $? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-in-november-weather-wise-grittis-std-rooms-worth-the-275321/)

delphina Nov 23rd, 2002 02:58 AM

Venice in November weather-wise? Gritti's std rooms worth the $?

Hi everyone, <BR><BR>I'm going to Venice next week for a long weekend. Anyone know what the weather and scene is like this time of the year? Too quiet? What are the chances of flooding (&quot;acqua alta&quot;)? What is it like now? <BR><BR>Also, we're staying at the Gritti Palace at a standard room. Are they worth the $$ if not a suite? Does anyone recommend a particular room # we could ask, for a romantic setting? <BR><BR>Thanks a lot! <BR>

Louisa Nov 25th, 2002 05:42 AM

Ciao Delphina!<BR>Just got back yesterday - I was only there for a day, but didn't see flooding - what a load of hype! It was gorgeous - I've heard horror stories about how crowded it is in summer, and I don't know why you'd ever want to go then, having seen for mysefl how beautiful it is in winter. Not too quiet - just great. Found a cool, noisy bar to drink the night away in, so it was great!

Laurie Nov 25th, 2002 05:45 AM

Louisa- Tell us more about the weather! How cold? Did it rain a lot etc.! Going next month &amp; want to hear more! Thanks

roco Nov 25th, 2002 10:44 AM

Hey Louisa,<BR><BR>Since Venice is on my next-to-see list, I would love to know the name of that cool, noisy bar?? That alone could fix the weather.<BR><BR>Please.....

Wayne Nov 25th, 2002 10:47 AM

IMO, the Gritti is never worth the extra money. You can find lots of hotels that are lower in cost yet very nice. As for weather, it can vary from cool to warm, from dry to rainy. Typically it will be moderate temperatures and somewhat cloudy, with some rain probable every few days at least.

Karen Nov 25th, 2002 04:02 PM

Louisa: if you were only there for one day, that hardly qualifies you to say that flooding is a &quot;load of hype&quot;. I was there two weekends ago and Venice had such high water that everyone was forced to walk about in waders or plastic bags tied around their legs. Whilst flooding to that degree is rare indeed, it does happen from time to time. That said, Venice is a magical city and not to be missed.

King Nov 25th, 2002 04:33 PM

I was there in early November last year and had great weather. Never been there this late before. Call or email your concierge at The Gritti Palace. <BR><BR>By the way, I've only stayed at Gritti Palace, and I am sure that there are great places to stay in Venice for less money. My travel agent tried to talk me into spending less and stay elsewhere. I guess it just depends on what you want. <BR><BR>My experience was nothing less than super. Upon check-in, the front desk offered to show us three standard rooms to choose from. It was all way cool.<BR><BR>Great concierge, service staff, and bar. We had drinks back at the hotel every night because we had such a good time there. Everyone went the extra mile for us. Upon departure, they have their own airport water shuttle. Very nice. If you have the $, go for The Gritti. <BR><BR>PS- We did not have time to go to Murano, but the night before we left Venice, we raided the little free standing gift store behind Gritti. Everyone received way cool glass gifts post trip and for Christmas. The owners stayed late to package our things and then took them to the hotel on their way home. We thought the prices were reasonable.<BR><BR>PSS-Be a tourist and chek our Harry's Bar at the Hotel Cipriani. Have a great trip.

Dona Nov 26th, 2002 07:41 AM

Delphina -<BR><BR>Just got back from the Gritti in October. I've always wanted to stay there so this was something I really anticipated. I have to say I was disappointed. The room was $700/night - not on the Grand Canal and did not include breakfast. When I asked about the cost for a room on the Grand Canal, I was told it's $900 and does not include breakfast! It's outrageous...<BR>While everyone was lovely, I would expect at least that at such a grand hotel.<BR><BR>I've stayed at the Excelsior on the Lido and it was gorgeous - the rooms were beautiful and that view over the sea is memorable. Of course, it's not as convenient as being on the mainland.<BR><BR>Next time I might try the Europa and Regina - or go back to some of my less expensive favorites.<BR><BR>In my opinion, I don't want to spend that kind of money in Venice if I'm not on the Grand Canal - but of course, that's a personal preference.<BR><BR>Have a great time in my most favorite city!

Robert Nov 26th, 2002 08:23 AM

Was in Venice last Christmas,was cold and damp ice on the piazza and temperatures between freezing and 40 degrees,need scarf hat gloves etc. But Venice is always great!<BR>

Louisa Nov 26th, 2002 08:30 AM

Hi Delphina &amp; Roco,<BR>Didn't rain while I was there. It was chilly-ish - coat and scarf and gloves were good, but nothing horrible. There are so many places to pop in and out of that you can dodge the rain easy enough if it does rain.<BR><BR>The bar I'd recomend is Baraco Jazz- just near the Rialto on the San Marco side, opposite the post office. Ask somebody if you can't find it as it seems to be well known. Nice atmosphere, happy hour till 7.30, cool waiters etc.<BR><BR>Karen - you are an old nit-picker aren't you! The hype I was told being that - Venice in November is not worth visiting, it's always flooded, you can't do anything - just avoid it etc. Personally - i think that was hype and I'm glad I ignored it. Ok - does that explain!!