Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice in November Advice Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-in-november-advice-needed-120394/)

cindy Apr 26th, 2001 06:00 AM

Venice in November Advice Needed

Hello, <BR> <BR>We are considering going to Venice at the end of November, into the first week of December. I've been there in the summer, but not during Nov/Dec. time of year. <BR> <BR>Has anyone been there at this time of the year, that can let me know if it's still warm enough at night to eat outdoors? Does the weather tend be be cool and cloudy? <BR> <BR>I would think that this might not be a bad time to go, since maybe there wont be as many tourists running around there. <BR> <BR>Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

richard j vicek Apr 26th, 2001 06:29 AM

Good morning, Cindy <BR>Have been to Venice a couple of times <BR>in November and December, the last <BR>was last year from the 4th thru the 9th. <BR>The temperature allowed eating outside <BR>for lunch, but evening it turned a bit <BR>cool, but some still did persist. Other times were were later, after thanksgiving and into early December <BR>and can recall fairly cool days in 50's <BR>and fog, and all eating was done indoors. Personally this time of year <BR>does have an advantage as there is immediate seating with reservations and <BR>also the same without. Many years ago <BR>tourists were at a minimum, but really <BR>beleive now it is only a memory, usually <BR>loaded especially on Sundays.. Also this <BR>is the time for high water, which we <BR>experienced on the 6th when it reached <BR>6" deep in the lobby of our hotel, but <BR>that was a memorable experience that <BR>we would certainly repeat. If you love <BR>Venice any time of the year is the time <BR>to go., the weather is secondary. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park,IL <BR>PS if you want a coupleof ristorante suggestioins drop me an e mail and will reply promptly. rjv <BR>

Jon Apr 26th, 2001 06:31 AM

Bring a raincoat and a scarf. We traveled from Rome to Venice in mid November, 1998. I was suprised at the contrast in climate...Rome was sunny and low 70s F. Venice was damp and low 50s F. <BR>There were far fewer crowds than the summer months and we had a great time. Venice is beautiful, even in cold rains. As far as eating outdoors, I'm always amazed at how many Europeans eat outdoors in inclimate weather. The outside tables were set up every day we were there. <BR>Have a great trip, <BR>j.

Monica Apr 26th, 2001 06:39 AM

Does one have to bring boots for the high water or do hotels supply them?

cindy Apr 26th, 2001 07:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. I forgot all about the high water in November! <BR> <BR>I am now thinking of the first week in January instead. I know it will be colder, but then I think I would prefer that over high waters. <BR> <BR>Any opinions? Thanks!

Marty Apr 26th, 2001 03:28 PM

Cindy: I have been to Venice twice in June, and I was there for Thanksgiving in 2000. It was rainy and cool, but not unpleasant. I did all of the same things that I did in June, but we did not eat outside. The water was up in San Marco one night, and it was interesting and worth seeing. The only thing I really, really missed was sitting in San Marco Square at night.

Howard Apr 26th, 2001 05:42 PM

In late November, 1999, it was in the 50s in Venice. Beautiful weather, but not warm enough for dining al fresco. The flooding ended about a week before we got there (ending around teh 20th).