Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice in March or September? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-in-march-or-september-904007/)

foxrun133 Aug 25th, 2011 10:59 AM

Venice in March or September?

Planning a trip to Venice next year. We visited some years ago in March, but are considering September for the upcoming trip because our anniversary is that month. We enjoyed seeing the city during a less crowded time with moderate temps. We will also be seeing Florence and Rome on this trip.

So.... March or September?

GeorgeW Aug 25th, 2011 11:08 AM

September is the better time. Warm,in the mid-70s, not hot. 9 hour days, however. Venice in March experiences more rain than September and a temperature range of 40-55 F. Occasionally it floods in March in Venice.

jamikins Aug 25th, 2011 11:15 AM

Definitely Sept - March is a rainy month.

zoecat Aug 25th, 2011 11:42 AM

I prefer fewer people and cooler temps, so I prefer March. I've been to Venice 3 times in March for 2 weeks each time and have experienced mostly non-rainy days. The only months I haven't visited Venice are June, July and August. March is my favorite month to visit Venice. I can put up with a little rain but not a lot of people.

kappa1 Aug 25th, 2011 12:15 PM

You must dicide for yourself :
March : low season - as said above, less crowd, lower hotel rates, but yes, could be rainier and acqua alta can happen.
September : high season - completely opposite of March.

I tend to avoid high, crowded seasons and like Zoecat I have enjoyed Venice in low seasons - Nov to March. Will be there end of September, in a month, I will probably like it there neverthless.

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2011 12:25 PM

weather2travel.com Italy climate guides

Usually try to go in late March for several reasons

mainly cooler particularly in the south less crowds

Rome can be blistering hot in Sept

airfare is cheaper usually get off peak FF miles deals

into Milan and train over aa.com has a CC my wife and I booked

free flight 40000 miles each them cost $45 in tax/fees only

we trained on to Venice it was cool not rainy very uncrowded

very nice...Have also been in fall in early November ran into

flooding actually ran an ultramarathon on plywood bridges

there thay had to lay out because the water got so high

so from then on I do not go in Nov.

So late march for me eurocheapo.com good tips for cities.

Good luck!

Surfergirl Aug 25th, 2011 12:32 PM

September + Venice = heaven. IMO.

mamcalice Aug 25th, 2011 01:23 PM

Definitely September. IMHO the best month to go.

joannyc Aug 25th, 2011 04:52 PM

September!

Mimar Aug 25th, 2011 05:01 PM

There's still a lot of people in Venice in September. Weather's good but it's pretty crowded. You can kind of work around the crowds - stay away from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto during the middle of the day. And avoid the vaporetto down the Grand Canal most of the time. Maybe take daytrips to the islands in the lagoon: Burano, Murano, Torcello, the Lido or go to Vicenza or Padua or Verona by train.

nytraveler Aug 25th, 2011 05:16 PM

Sept is still crowded in Venice - in fact it's a major convention month there. Double check the dates for the film festival - it;s always Sept - and the town is mobbed and hotel prices sky high. (We did a meeting there the week after that and came in early to prep - and the hotel rooms that was about $350 for our meeting was almost $800 for the last day of the festival.)