Explore Riviera by Car or Rail

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explore Riviera by Car or Rail

Is it better to rent a car or explore by train. I'm weighing the cost and difficulty switching the sides of the road with the ease of exploring.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Islandmom; it all depends on where you are staying and what you want to do. And on when you are actually going to be there.
We spend about three weeks on the Cote d'Azur in July every year, and I always drive everywhere. I just find it easier with three children. We often go to Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Juan les Pins, and never had a real problem with either driving or parking. We drive to the beach most days too.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:22 AM

The railway follows the coast from St-Raphael to the Italian border, and local trains are fairly frequent. For St-Tropez and other places west of St-Raphael, you have to go by bus or boat. If you're there in the peak season of July and August, the roads can get very congested.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:32 AM

I'm with Tulips on this one. I'm better known in the area west of Cannes (St. Raphael, St. Tropez, etc.) where we drive everywhere without any problems. The coastal road from St. Raphael to St. Tropez can get congested indeed, but I'm never in a hurry when on holiday! Besides, I'm not sure public transport is very convenient in that area. I know we needed our car to get to the (nice) beaches when we stayed in a hotel in the centre of St. Tropez.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:04 PM

islandmom - my info is 15 years old but we had to rent a car in Riviera. It depends on your itenary and where you plan to visit. There are places up the mountains like grasse, Saint Paul De Vance(sp?), etc. and different beaches, and many other places that I do not believe up to today can be all accessible via rail.