Venice in February just before Carnival

Old Dec 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in February just before Carnival

Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone has been to Venice just before Carnival? We will be there Feb. 8-10th - just before it beings and would like to get an idea as to if the pulse of the city will be any different? Will there be any costumed performers, or should we change our plans and try to stay an extra day for the start? Any advice/pointer's would be appreciated.
Grazie!
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM

If you haven't booked accommodation for next year's Carnevale by now then you might find there isn't much left or the prices of what is left are higher than expected.

As far as being in Venice just before Carnevale, you'll find that the "pulse" of the city is still the same, ie it's Winter and cold so not as many people around (esp in evenings, which makes for a great time wandering deserted streets and enjoying another side of Venice), but you will see a little bit of Carnevale - mainly decorations in shops. But as for costumed performers prior to Carnevale, not really. By that I mean you won't see them roaming the streets early en masse. You might see one or two (which is better than none!) but nothing major prior to Carnevale. At least you have the chance of stumbling across the first pieces of Carnevale before it really gets going, so that's a bonus.

OF course, check with your current accommodation to see if they have availability for that first weekend (11th Feb) and if so and it's affordable then by all means take the opportunity to add time to your stay in Venice, you'll love it. On that first Saturyday of Carnevale there will be an afternoon tea (of sorts) with costumed guests at the Caffe Lavena in Pz San Marco so you can see costumes there. There is also a parade in the morning and other events during the day.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks madamtrashheap for your response. We actually had the hotel booked, but I decided over the weekend to change everything around so that we are now going to be in Venice for Carnevale for three days! I was actually able to just change the dates for Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo (#1 TripAdvisor) and actually not that much more. You only live once!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM

That's great you were able to get accommodation during Carnevale! You'll love it - it's crowded, hectic, colourful and something you have to see at least once. Have a great time!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, flirtinfilly, lucky you!

do please come back here and tell us all about it.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:22 AM

Hello

I need to make a business trip to Venice at the end of January this year and the dates I have looked at are 30 January until 2 February - as far as I am aware Carnival begins on the 1 February.

Do you know if before the Carnival the city will be busy and hectic? I suspect it will... I need to a lot of moving around when I'm in Venice and I'm wondering whether it's worth visiting after the Carnival although my trip is also pretty urgent....

Thank you!
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:46 AM

here's the schedule - looks as if you're right, in that it starts on 1st Feb, but actually goes on until Feb 14th - so how urgent is your business?

have you looked at what hotels are available for your dates?

that will give you an idea of how busy it's going to be.

if it's a business trip, why not stay in Mestre, or even Padova - easy train journeys from each into Venice.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM

oops, didn't post it. here it is:

http://www.venice-carnival-italy.com/