Venice in early February?

Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Venice in early February?

Hi, I signed up tonight because I'm researching a potential trip to Venice and this looks like a great place to get advice from expert travelers. And I have a rather pressing question: is it crazy to go to Venice in early February? I'm thinking of taking my husband as a special birthday trip and that's when we can get away. I want to see Venice before it sinks! Would we be spending most of our time indoors? (given the primary sites and experiences)

I'm also thinking we might rent a car after a few days and head out into the countryside, even as far as Como.

Has anyone had strong feelings one way or the other about going in February? (1-14)

If I get positive feedback, I'll have lots more questions for you. Thanks already!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:06 AM

Marking, and I'll reply soon.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...aly/venice.php

Have been then cold downright chilly with fog frontal rain

rarely even snow sometimes still fun lots to do.

www.venice-tourism.com

www.orbitz.com has great deals on the Danieli featured

in the new Depp/Jolie movie "The Tourist" under 200 euro/nt

awesome value great location.

Recently stayed at the Westin Europa/Regina www.spg.com points

got a grand canal suite upgrade with points/cash $90/nt

was awesome...

Como too far away but Garda www.sirmione.com makes for

a nice lake visit 2 hours away will be cold though not crowded

I like Hotel Eden there wonderful lake views...

Happy Journey,
Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM

I should start with a warning – I’m a nut case as far as Venice is concerned, tragically in love with Venice. OK, your Honour, I’ve confessed.

If I had the choice of Venice in February or say May, I’d choose February every time. We found that in early February, things were still quiet, but most places – bars, cafes, places to eat – had re-opened after their Christmas close down and renovations. The weather was not too cold, and flooding is less common then. You could choose to spend your time indoors – there are enough churches, galleries, whatever, to spend all your times indoors.

But Venice is not like that. Life happens in the campos and on the streets, and in February you would not feel driven indoors. You can always retreat into a bar for a coffee – costs about 1.30 euro if you don’t sit down, or a glass of wine. I’ve spent all of today, and all of the 31st December outdoors. The 31st was pretty cold, ice forming on the backwaters on Torcello, but still totally beautiful.

If it were me, here’s what I’d do, if I had from say 1st to 14th Feb available.

Fly into Venice, Marco Polo.
Take a train to Verona, and stay there for a couple of nights. It is about an hour by train to Verona.
Train to Venice, and hire an apartment in Venice for about ten days.
Fly home from Venice, quite possibly with tears in your eyes.

But I’m a Venice tragic. I’ve written a little about this lovely town:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm which was our trip a couple of years ago, or the work in progress,

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I read your journal/trip report and was thoroughly enchanted. That's the kind of travel we prefer. Wandering. Being outdoors, on the streets, with the 'locals.' I'll read up on Verona. Nice to know the flooding has abated somewhat by then. Thanks again.