venice in 1 and half days.

Mar 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

venice in 1 and half days.

please give me some advice.
due to being locked in to flights, my italian trip at end of may, i have only 1 and a half days to give to venice.
is this just a waste of time?
if i dont go, it means 6 days on the amalfi coast.
is that too long for the amalfi region.
thanks in advance
Mar 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM

There is only one Venice.
You could get a sample of Venice in a day and a half.

To give you a good answer I would have to know your logistics. Is the schedule: half day on train, day and a half in Venice, half on train return? This might not be a good use of your available time.

Does something this hectic fit with your 'style'?

Mar 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM

In my opinion any time in Venice is better than no time in Venice. In 1 1/2 days you could see the Doges Palace, St. Marks, Salute, go to the top of the Campienelle (sp?) and still have time to wander and just enjoy the special feeling of Venice. I would try to fit it in if you can but Venice is my favotire city in the world so I am a bit biased. Enjoy.
Mar 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Go. It will only make you want to go back again. If you have a full 1 1/2 days there, you can see plenty.

The Basilica di San Marco (open 10:00), Doges Palace (open 9:00), and Campanile (open 9:30) might be seen in a long morning if you start early. Long lines form at the Basilica later in the day.

Grab a late lunch and visit Santa Maria della Salute which can't be missed, across the Grand Canal from San Marco. Of course the Rialto can be seen at any time. Wandering the narrow winding streets in the evening, is one of my favorite memories.

Mar 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much all of you for your help.
sounds like you all think venice is worth it,even for a short time.
my possible itinery is

27 may- florence-venice by train- arriving early afternoon.

28 may- venice-naples on the overnight late train.

this gives me one and a half days in venice.

however this then only leaves me 3 nights on the amalfi coast and one night in naples. [have to leave naples early in the morning, thus thought we'd spend the day at pompei, stay the night in naples, then fly out.]

does this look to frantic??
look forward to some advice
lynette
Mar 20th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

one more question.
i have found accomodation at the "casanova ai tolentini". its rated 4 on trip advisor.
but it is situated near the "piazzal roma".
20 min walk from san marco square
it that central enough for such a short stay
thanks in advance for any advice
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

Should should consult a map before you rely on the hotelier's 'twenty minute walk' phrase.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

hi bigred
are you suggesting we err on the side of caution, or do you know of the area and/or hotel?
thanks for your reply
lynette
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM

i think it's fine to have a day and half in Venice. like someone said, it's better than no time in Venice!

Furthermore, you have a NIGHT in Venice, which really makes a difference, as Venice is magical at dusk and in the evening!

We had about the same amount of time in Venice. We still had time for a ride up to the top of the Campanile, lots of walking and shopping, a visit to St. Mark's Basilica, a gonodola ride at dusk (please don't miss this!), and great food!

Sure, there was a lot we missed, but we really enjoyed the time we were there!

have a great trip!

Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM

I would try to stay closer to San Marco, or perhaps the Accademia. Piazza le Roma is a transportation hub with a bus terminal, parking garages, and it's near the train station. My recollection is that it's 20 or even 30 minutes from San Marco by vaporetto. For a one night stay, you probably want to stay closer in, particularly for seeing Venice and its beautiful buildings reflected in the canal waters at night.

But, yes, as the Fodorites have said above, " any time in Venice is better than no time in Venice"
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks gikayak.
i wonder if anyone out there could suggest a place to stay that is central, considering our one nights stay.
we are looking at a budget between 150-200 euro
thanks
lynette
Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:00 AM

You can try Pensione Guerrato which is in San Polo near the Rialto fish market. It is a slightly shorter vaporetto ride from the train station than some places in San Marco, Dorsoduro or Castello but still a very short walk to San Marco. Plus, there are more frequent vaporetti running since you can take either the one that goes all the way up and down the grand canal or the one that only goes as far as Rialto (I forget the different numbers off hand) which could be convenient for a short trip. The hotel books up pretty fast, but you could get lucky. Their rates start around 140 EUR I think.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
ira

Hi L,

As I answered on your other post,

I don't recommend 1 1/2 day in Venice, followed by an overnight train to the AC.

Either skip Venice or add 2 nights to Rome and see Venice, but not the AC.

Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM

Type in Venice hotels on the search feature. They're were a lot of good suggestions when we were looking. We stayed at the Locanda Fiorita for €90/nt. for two ensuite incl. taxes and breakfast. About 10min. walk to San Marco.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

hi, ljforday,

this will probably turn out to be a silly q, but why are you flying into Florence, only to be moving on straight away to Amalfi/Venice?

regards, ann
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

hi ann
i havent entered my entire itinery!!

rome for 2 nights

florence for 5- we are marrying there
venice for one- (long story as to why we now have only one night in venice- to do with hasty flight bookings that cant be changed out of amalfi!]

amalfi and naples for 4

french country for 4

paris for 2

regards
lynette
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks tudor and ripit for your suggestions.
unfortunately i tried both places and both are booked out
so i still need somewhere to stay!!!

ira
i guess the reason i'm swaying with going to venice, is eveyone on this post seems to think a little venice is better than no venice at all!

i am already going to rome in the beginning of my trip for 2 nights
thanks for your advice though
regards
lynette
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:58 PM

The Almalfi coast is amazing. It's positano, capri, sorrento, almafi, etc. There is lot's of stuff to see, but I would say the best to see of Italy is in the south area. It's not to far from rome either. Don't rush venice, stay for 6 days in the almalfi, I'm so jealous. It's really a great place, if you love little villas on a hill looking over the ocean. Capri is an island close to sorrento and very nice. Don't pay for the blue grotto, such a scam, don't do it!!! But everything else was supurb there.

Ciao

Theresa

check out my travel blog for more info

http://www.nomadwannabe.com
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

dear theresa
thank you so much for your comments.
im a little confused as to whether to see venice or not. i am locked in to only having 1night and 1 and a half days.
the feedback has been mainly that a little venice is better than no venice at all.
apart from your lovely advice ira!
so....
is 3 days long enough for the amalfi, plus an extra day in naples- [we'll go to pompei that day] have early flight from naples, thus why we are staying a night there.

do you have any suggestions on somewhere to stay in venice??
look forward to hearing from you.
lynette
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM

Hello ljforday/lynette, as much as I love Venice and the northern part of Italy I would not try to visit Venice this trip. I truly think you will be exhausted and not get what you wish from your honeymoon which no doubt is to enjoy and savor Italy. I would add the days on to the AC. You have two nights in Rome which means one day without arriving (with some jetlag no doubt), one day to see a bit of Rome and the next day to go to Florence. Getting married in Florence sounds delightful!! I would then head back to the AC for rest, relaxing and soaking in the beauty there.

As so many others will tell you, you will return to Italy and you can then visit Venice and spend enough time to truly enjoy it. At least that is my thought and what I would do.

Best wishes to you two on your marriage. May life treat you well and may all of your days together be filled with love and respect and many joys along with more beautiful trips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO