Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Hotels: Flora, Galleria, Kettee, Ala or American! Help Please!

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Susan

We are planning a trip to Rome/Florence/Venice this February and I am looking at the hotels for Venice right now. We are a family of 4(2 adults and 2 teens)and I have gotten good rates at the above hotels. All of them either offer me 2 doubles or 1 quad at about the same price (200-220 euros total), although Kette is abit higher. Which would you take? We would like to be centrally located as we are only in Venice for about 2 days and we would like a nice, clean hotel (especially clean bathrooms)that can sleep us all comfortably.
Thanks!

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:11 AM
elaine

The Flora has an outstanding location and is a very charming hotel, I would stay ther again in a minute, but some of its rooms are smaller than others
(none are especially large) so you should inquire a bit more about relative size.

I have a file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Rex

Excerpted from a previous post -- many others have also made very favorable mention of the ala - -

Author: Rex ([email protected])
Date: 07/17/2002, 06:10 pm

Message: Although I do not [it] personally (from a stay there), I know [the location of] the Ala well, and have walked through its lobby. I also tried to book a group of 11 teenagers there (all family members - - childrens, cousins and boy friends) together with me and my wife. They adamantly refused the reservation, saying that "we do not take groups". Arguing got me no where.

Some people will take this as a good thing. I do not hold it against them, and I think that the hotel looks lovely and it's in a good location.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:01 AM
xx

I stayed at the Ala last February and thought it was very pleasant, and the location was excellent (5 min walk from St mark's square, 1 minute to Vaporetto stop). The room we had was a very good size (I think it was a "superior double" or something like that), with a large bathroom, nice sitting area and a view of the canal. When we were there the hotel bar/lounge was being renovated, but I imagine that's all finished now. I'd recommend it.

Nov 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Marj

Our family stayed in the FLora (also w/ 2 kids). There quad room (and they may only have 1 or 2), is a good sized room with a queen and 2 twin beds. It overlooked the garden (there are no canal views). The room also had 1 1/2 bathrooms which was nice to have with a family of 4. It was very clean and comfortable. The staff there is very pleasant. We enjoyed afternoon breaks in the hotel garden. The breakfast was fresh rolls and beverages. They had this great blood orange juice. Additional breakfast foods are available at a cost.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:52 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The Ala or Flora--take your pick !
Check the Do Pozzi as an option.

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Anne

We stayed at the Galleria in October. Great location (right at the Accademia bridge); very very clean, decent sized room; wonderful price. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anne

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:24 PM
RnR

Stayed at Flora several times since first trying it in 1991, after good experiences at several other places in Venice. but a desire to try something new. Now it's Flora every time! Never anything but wonderful. As Elaine mentions, the location is simply perfect - five minutes from Gritti, San Marco. This place has the real Venice charm, the feel. Charming breakfats in the room - drinks in the small bar by the garden - tables for tea by the ivy - wonderful front desk. Close to vaporetti. Perfect-o.

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Susan

Hi RnR - Do you still think Flora is great for me figuring that it will be February - no drinks in the garden, tables by the ivy, nor is breakfast in the room with 4 people sound good - way to crowded! But I have heard wonderful things about the hotel and I am very interested. The Flora room rate for a quad is about equal to the Ala rate for 2 connecting doubles, so I am leaning towards the 2 doubles as it gets me 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us.

Nov 7th, 2002, 04:14 PM
claire

We stayed at the Hotel American and were very pleased with it and especially with the location in the Dorsoduro section of Venice (Accademia Bridge vaporetto stop). The room had recently been completely redone and the bathroom, although small, was spotless and everything worked.

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Marilyn

We stayed at the American on our honeymoon and it was absolutely lovely. The location was very convenient, but also quiet, and the room was lovely. Would go back in a minute!

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:45 AM
elaine

Susan,
As much as I love the Flora, there's more than one great hotel in Venice.
Read the comments specifically on the quad rooms in the Ala and the Flora and make your choice that way.

You don't have to eat breakfast in your room in the Flora; in addition to the garden, there is an inside very nice breakfast room where it is served.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Susan

Elaine, I am leaning towards the Ala because for virtually the same price as the Flora I can get 2 connecting doubles. Much preferred over sleeping 4 to a room with my kids!

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Mary

I've done a search for Ala, I was unable to find a web page. Could some one offer it.Thanks.

Nov 9th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Susan

Mary, The email for the Ala Hotel is easy, www.hotelala.com. I always try that with any hotel and it usually works!

Nov 9th, 2002, 04:46 PM
mimi

Stayd at the Kette three years ago and liked it very much. It was a short walk to St. Mark and near most attractions. The room was good sized, very clean, newer bathroom, and a very nice breakfast room. Also stayed at the Panda on a previous trip and thought it was also good , near the clock off the Square of St. Marks.

Nov 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM
daneille

Both my aunt and uncle and a work colleague have stayed at the Hotel Kette and recommended it.

I recently stayed out the Hotel Orion in Venice which had quite small rooms but was modern and fantastically located in San Marco. Might be a bit too cramped for people travelling with teenagers - unless you got them their own room. But it was ALOT cheaper than Hotel Kette.