Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice hotels between €150 - €200 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-hotels-between-150-200-a-1001731/)

jscarbary Jan 4th, 2014 05:11 AM

Venice hotels between €150 - €200

I am about to book our hotel for Venice in May 2014 and was wondering if I missed any good ones in my search. I am considering the Hotel Bartolomeo, but hate to miss an opportunity. The one problem is that we will be in the city on May 1 and several hotels are booked on that day of our stay so I am limited by that one day. Please let me know your favorites. Thanks.

Mimar Jan 4th, 2014 07:24 AM

Have you checked at booking.com and venere.com? I especially trust the reviews at booking.com because reviewers must have stayed at the hotel they review.

The Hotel Bartolemeo is near the Rialto Bridge, which is an area I would avoid because of the crowds. Ditto anything near the Piazza San Marco. But maybe not so many crowds in April/early May.

annhig Jan 4th, 2014 08:29 AM

I can't tell you anything about the hotel itself, but the location is excellent. We spent a week in an apartment vey near here and it was very convenient for getting to almost anywhere in Venice. Yes, the Rialto can be busy, but when you are staying so close, you can go to the market early in the morning, or stand on the bridge late at night, with almost no-one around.

Also, to the north-east of the Campo Bartolomeo is a far less touristy area of Venice, with ordinary shops, a terrific bakers, a small supermarket, and lots of interesting calle and campi. [streets and squares]. it's also a reasonably short walk to the fondamente nove where you can catch the boats to the islands.

Pepper_von_snoot Jan 4th, 2014 11:57 AM

What neighbourhood do you want to stay in whilst in Venice????

Thin

jscarbary Jan 4th, 2014 02:31 PM

We will only be in Venice for three days, this location looks rather central. There was one other place that I was looking at in Dosuduro near Santa Maria Della Salute but I'm not sure how long it will take to get any where in the city form that location. Would it take a lot of time? We walk everywhere when we are on vacation so that isn't an issue, I just don't want to be too far from everything.

jamikins Jan 4th, 2014 02:35 PM

What about www.hotelgalleria.it we enjoyed it on our honeymoon

Pepper_von_snoot Jan 4th, 2014 03:08 PM

Area around Santa Maria Salute is an ideal location.

You have a Billa supermarket and numerous restaurants on the Zattere; you are close to Peggy Guggenheim; you are close to Accademia; you can walk over Accademia Bridge to get to other parts of Venice.

I know Venice well. My late sister lived in a house behind Santa Maria Salute much of her life.

Thin

GrandmaNae Jan 4th, 2014 04:10 PM

Have you considered renting an apartment while there? Lots of options

rialtogrl Jan 4th, 2014 04:52 PM

Staying by the Salute isn't as central as the Rialto Bridge but it is a really nice area. What you should do if you stay there is get 3 day vaporetto passes, then you can hop on the vaporetto at Salute stop and it will take you to across to Piazza San Marco very quickly. If you want to stick to walking, I'd choose the more central location (Rialto.)

jscarbary Jan 5th, 2014 06:16 AM

Jamikins, I am waiting for a reply now from the Hotel Galleria, it looked from the calendar that there was availability on our dates, so now I wait. It looks like a nice place and I like that it is close to a bridge.
Pepper, from my reading before booking, I was thinking that I wanted to be in Dosuduro but I just wasn't sure about the distance. Venice doesn't look too big on a map, but then no place ever does.
Thanks for your help.

tarquin Jan 5th, 2014 06:55 AM

I stayed at the hotel you are waiting to reply and our room was the worst I have seen since old student days in the Latin quarter. However, the Dorsoduro is a lovely area and the Guardi is very pleasant and not expensive.

http://www.palazzoguardivenice.com/

annw Jan 5th, 2014 07:36 AM

Agree Dorsoduro is a lovely area to stay; if you considered Cannaregio area there is the lovely Domus Orsoni -- but it's a small b&b, not a full service hotel.

It sounds like Locanda Orseolo is booked; that's our go-to; we stay at Domus Orsoni when LO is full.

Consider going over to Cannaregio for dinner even if you stay elsewhere; better food and value.

immimi Jan 5th, 2014 07:52 AM

Yes, the Galleria is a funky old place but the location is
amazing and the price certainly right.

They are closed for renovations until February so things may
be spruced up a tad.

Mimar Jan 5th, 2014 08:51 AM

Venice is a small city. As long as you have no walking problems, you should be able to walk from one end to the other. (And I highly recommend walking there, wandering around getting lost; because Venice is small and surrounded by water, you can't go too far.)

The problem is getting across the Grand Canal. There are only 4 bridges: the Rialto and the Accademia are the most central. If you have a pass, you can hop a vaporetto to get from one side of the canal to the other. Or do like the locals and take a traghetto, a gondola ferry which crosses the Grand Canal at certain points. Here's a link with info and a list of the traghetti crossings: http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinatio...traghetto.html

DeborahAnn Jan 5th, 2014 09:46 AM

We loved the location and the comfort of our stay at Ca' Amadi. It is one of the homes of Marco Polo. It was fun to hear the gondoliers call out Marco Polo every time they went past. It's on a small canal near the Rialto Bridge and a short walk to Cannaregio. I think they have two of their Superior doubles available on May 1st and they are less than 200 euros if you book with a nonrefundable rate on their website. www.caamadi.it There is an English page on their website. Deborah