Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

venice--hotels and restaurants recommended in "Fodor's Venice's 25 Best"

Oct 13th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

This guide is wonderful--very, very helpful, but the recommendations for the Hotel Bauer and Gritti, and for Harry's Bar must be rewritten. The location of all three is superb, and the Bauer includes the most scrumptuous breakfast on their terrace overlooking the Grand Canal, but the room rates are ridiculously high--and at the Bauer, you could find yourself in the Annex--which they call the Casa Nova--which means walking back out of the hotel and into a detached building alongside. The room featured a loft, accessible up a spiral staircase, where the Bauer had placed a standing lamp, sofa, and second t.v. We could not imagine anyone--over the age of 5--going up there. The Gritti is also incredibly expensive, again without a view, and with no breakfast (unless paid for in a different room rate, which i had never seen offered). Within walking distance were Best Western hotels at half the price--and with all the amenities.

Harry's Bar has to be the greatest rip-off of all time, but the guidebook recommends a visit. Cocktails--including the greatly overrated bellini--arrive in juice size glasses and cost well over $20 each. The room is a square box, with no charm at all. We did think about Barnum's observation, but since the Guide is so good in other ways, Fodor's let us down here. The "top 25" spread in the guidebook is especially helpful for those of us with limited time--and the need to pick and choose. Thank you, Fodor's.
Oct 13th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Have you added your reviews to those on the website? That would be helpful.
Oct 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Personally, I think guide books are very useful; however, nothing substitutes for research, especially at the hotel's website and other sites offering reviews, such as this one. Every review has an inherently subjective quality, whether it is published in a book or posted on a website.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that all rooms in a hotel do not have a view and/or do not come with breakfast. It would, in most cases, be physically impossible for every room to have a Grand Canal view. Also, it is not unknown for hotels to have distinct parts. I am staying at the Danieli on my visit to Venice next August and am fully aware that it has rooms in more than one building, and that the rooms in the original Dandolo Palazzo have different characteristics than those in the other building.

As for Harry's Bar, many people may agree with you. However, for me, at least, its history, and mystique, for lack of a better term, have some value. I like knowing I'm visiting a place where Hemingway drank. Further, no one prevents customers who enter Harry's Bar from turning around and immediately leaving if they do not like the decor or the menu.
Oct 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

the websites of the hotels and harry's bar? i had not thought of that--but will if you think it helpful.
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM

yes, that would be helpful.

Also, TA. Most people I "follow" here also mention Trip Advisor ...

Thanks for your post. [btw, I agree - Fodor's travel guides seem to highlight very expensive lodging, and I have found places well worth staying at, which are not even mentioned in F's guides]
Oct 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Delaine, I think you are being entirely too harsh on the OP.

Some people have never been to Venice and some may not be sure how to find "accurate" data for travel purposes. There are hundreds of sites with conflicting data. I think a guide book is an excellent place to start.

And I agree that guidebooks written by true professionals should never be influenced by their advertisers or their bottom line.

cacky, I think many will appreciate your comments on the guidebook. I, too, suggest you contact the publishers with your comments.

buon viaggio!
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Trip Advisor is a good place for comments -- reviews on restaurants and hotels. Also a trip report here on Fodors would be helpful. Venere.com is another good place to rate hotels.

No getting around it; the Bauer is hideously expensive, but if it's listed as such I'm not sure what else the guidebook should do.

Sometimes it takes a while for the guides to catch up -- Locanda Orseolo in Venice was #1 on TA for several years before showing up in Fodors's.

I review every lodging at TA after doing a search here, then review on Venere. I'm starting to review restaurants there too.
Oct 15th, 2010, 03:18 AM

I meant the Fodor's Destinations pages--you can put comments there, too IF the place is listed. But TA and Venere would be great, too.

I walked into and out of Harry's Bar in about two minutes--it was interesting to take a peek but I had no desire to eat or drink there.
Oct 15th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Let them go ahead and list them - I don't want my more reasonable finds / favorites noted - I might not be able to get a room in the future. The other day there was a thread about US tourism down in Italy - any hope or signs that hotel rates may go down? does that ever happen? Of couse a few months ago with the exchange rate, it was as if the rates got better, but no more.