Venice Hotel Transfers for Disabled Person

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be taking a cruise in October which departs from Venice. My mother, who is disabled, will accompany me. The problem I'm facing is the transfer from the airport to the Bauer Hotel. I know the Bauer provides transportation in a small vaporetto, which my mother will not be able to climb into. The Bauer has informed me that a handicapped accessible vaporetto costs Euro 250,00 + 20% VAT tax per way, which is a heck of a lot of money for a short trip. Can anyone suggest a less costly alternative?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you describe the extent of your mother's disability? What exactly is she able and not able to do?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might find some helpful info in these two articles. The second one mentions Sanitrans water taxi/handicapped service which I also found mentioned elsewhere as charging 65 euro (excluding tip) for transport between airport and hotel, but the Sanitrans website wouldn't open for me. You might try calling them and discussing your needs.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ble_venice.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1....Disabled.html
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Are you looking for a wheelchair accessible route?

Have you looked into taking a land taxi to Piazzale Roma, then a big Vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Marco? I thought the big Vaporettos used ramp access to docks, but since I could walk, I probably did not notice even when there were a few steps.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM

I would hazard a guess that the "small vaporetto" and the "accessible vaporetto" are both water taxis, not actually vaporettos (water buses). How mobile is she--only in a wheelchair, or can she walk or climb stairs a little?

From the airport you can also take a land taxi or a bus to P. Roma and then a regular vaporetto (water bus) from there. All of the vaporetti I saw were wheelchair accessible and there were special areas for wheelchair users. Or you can take the Alilaguna ferry to P. San Marco--the alilaguna ferry is also wheelchair accessible.

It would help to know the extent of your mother's disability.