Venice hotel suggestions close to airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2022, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are finishing a 6 day 30th anniversary trip to Venice and Triente on 10/1/22 on a flight at 6:30 am. Any suggestions of a nice place to spend the night reasonably close to the airport to allow us a nice last dinner before we leave? We are staying first 3 nights at the Baglioni Hotel Luna, then 2 nights in Triente before we return to Venice. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 09:58 AM

When DH and I were in Venice years ago, our hotel was just a literal walk in the park to Piazzale Roma where bus and taxi stops are located. It's no longer the same name but looking at a map, I think this is the place now:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

I Googled 'hotels near Piazzale Roma' and two others came up. Unless things changed since covid, the Vap has night hours and you can get to P. Roma in plenty of time from hotels even further away. Others can get you even closer to the airport, but it isn't too far from Venice and things didn't get started at the airport until closer to 7 the 2 times we visited!

Edited to add, you could splurge for an actual water taxi and watch Venice as it recedes. A fitting ending.

Last edited by TDudette; Aug 31st, 2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, TDudette!
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 10:59 AM

It is unclear to me. Of course, there are many places which I am not familiar with. Do you mean Trieste or is there a place named Triente?
If you mean Trieste, and you are departing from Venice, would it not be better, rather than splitting time in Venice, to go directly to Trieste for your two nights and put all four nights in Venice together at the end?
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 11:17 AM

Sassafras it’s gotta be Trieste but maybe their actual anniversary falls on one of those days in Venice at the beginning. Luna Baglioli will be a fab place to celebrate.

I have not stayed here yet, but will in early October; they are very new and have good reviews and a restaurant. https://www.torreanticahotel.com

I hate those 4am treks to Piazzale Roma, but I am not a morning person… but a water taxi is always nice, if one wants to stay in Venice!

Old Aug 31st, 2022, 11:35 AM

RialtogrI, I looked at that hotel also. It looks beautiful. I had not thought about the actual date of their anniversary.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Aug 31st, 2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 06:25 PM

We just stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott recently, which is literally walking distance to the airport. Decent restaurant in the hotel.
If your goal is to be as close as possible to the airport for an early morning flight, this is a great option.
But nothing like staying in Venice proper.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Our anniversary was in the summer, but we've had several family emergencies and had to wait to schedule this trip. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to advance plan as I would have hoped. I had hoped to get a travel agent to help, but ran out of time for that as well. The Conde Nast recommended travel agent actually rejected me. LOL. So here I am, tackling one portion of the trip at a time. I did mistype Trieste, and it does make more sense to push through and go directly there for 2 days and then return to Venice. I wasn't sure when it would be less crowded in Venice, actually, but that makes more sense. Thanks again for your input.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 06:09 AM

Husband and I made Trieste a day trip from Venice. We had enough time to tour the palace and stroll around the harbor. I wasn't posting on Fodor's then...will look for my notes for the timing.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 08:00 AM

I can stay in Venice for weeks, but if you go to Trieste for two nights and then want to do a day trip during your four days in Venice, Vicenza and Padua are both lovely and interesting, and easy day trips. A day spent visiting the other island in the lagoon is nice too. You could spend just one night in Trieste (rest and walk the day you arrive and sightseeing most of the next day) and catch a late afternoon or early evening train to Venice the second day.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 01:53 PM

As mentioned, our Trieste day trip was done before I posted here...not one mention of when we left Venice or Trieste! Our train tickets had no times...they were the kind you validate. Furthermore, we actually followed a castle worker to the correct bus so nothing concrete in my notes. Sorry.

I agree with sassafrass re lots to do and see in and closer to Venice itself.