Venice, Hotel Luna Baglioni or Danieli

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am choosing between these two hotels for a trip I am taking in two weeks. The room rates are virtually identical. Though I have been to Venice when I was in my teens, I have not been since. I have always viewed The Danieli as one of the top hotels in Venice, though many reviews seem to indicate it might be tired, and that many of the rooms are rather basic and not special. In photos, the Baglioni looks more appealing to me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:08 AM

Arriving at the Danieli by private water taxi and entering into that gorgeous lobby is very special. Breakfast on the top floor with great views is wonderful too. Rooms are a bit old-fashioned. And what they charge for a glass of wine in the bar is shocking. They charge for wifi too.
I haven't stayed in the Baglioni.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 02:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume the Gritti is more expensive. Have you considered the Londra Palace which is basically next door to the Danieli?
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 03:55 AM

I'm a bit of a fan of the Danieli, because I'm mildly in love with the romance of being right on the Riva degli Schiavoni (especially if you can get a water-facing room): there can be a real sense of Venice as im must have been when it was the commercial centre of the Mediterranean and its various hinterlands - though, in fairness I've not stayed there when there was a cruise liner around.

I'd wonder whether the crowds might be a problem if there were one. Obviously, Venice is far emptier now than it was in its heyday (when the terrafirma's population was twice the current daily average number of tourists and residents - even before you count in visiting sailors), and the great thing about the usual throngs along the Riva is that they usually make at least that bit of the city feel like a proper bustling port. I honestly don't know whether the common whines about cruise crowds just come from anti-social whingers wishing Venice were empty, or whether

The Baglioni isn't, as far as I'm aware, even on a canal: it's in a bog-standard quaint old alley, and there are scores going on hundreds of other posh hotels in quaint alleys all over Europe. Most aren't as stuffed with bog-standard international bling shops as that part of Venice, either.

All Venice's posh hotels have near-outrageous charges for breathing, and no-one really visits Venice just for its hotels, when the city's got so much else to offer. I'd not worry aboutthe Danieli feeling "tired" - but for once I'd agree with Dukey: the Gritti isn't always any costlier than its rivals, its location is up there with the Danieli (some would prefer it) and it really does feel special.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

On my previous trip I stayed at the Gritti Palace, and it was very nice. For my current dates, it is almost double the price of the Danieli and the Luna Baglioni; otherwise it would probably be my first choice.

I had originally booked the Danieli, but their concierge's responsiveness to a few inquiries has been less than stellar, which caused me to consider the Luna Baglioni.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 08:55 AM

We were with friends in Venice who were staying at the Danieli. It was very nice, but they didn't have a "knock your socks off" experience. The lobby is very busy.

I've never stayed at the Baglioni in Venice, but did stay at the Baglioni in Bologna. Great hotel with terrific service. Hopefully standards are the same in all their properties.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Danieli is a legendary hotel, but I hate the location.

I try to avoid the area around Piazza San Marco between 8 AM and 8 PM at all costs. The tsunami of tourists makes me lose my mind!

I always pick a hotel in Venice that is far away from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto.

Thin
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:57 PM

You may want to look at the Palazzo Stern. Luxury in a much less congested location.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 01:04 PM

I much prefer the Luna Baglioni to the Danieli. Baglioni is an Italian hotel company, and I love their interior designs. Danieli is Starwood with a Venetian-themed "veneer."

Danieli is in a very busy location. Luna Baglioni is close to the Piazza but tucked down a quiet little street.

By the way, you can get added value amenities at either one for the same BAR through Virtuoso:

https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/6872...e#.VxFXAmO-1gY

https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/6163...oni-hotel-luna
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the replies. It seems like the Baglioni is more for me. "Tsunamis of tourists" are among my least favorite things (though of course this is Venice, so to be expected). It seems like Baglioni might be a little more tasteful, and a little quieter. I also found out that the Danieli does not have individually controlled A.C. (though they do in some rooms in some buildings, but not the one I am booked in), an issue about which I am a bit crazy; I like sleeping in a cool room, this is important to me. Breakfast on the terrace at the Danieli does look quite nice though.

The tipping point is the A.C. situation; so I will probably be switching to the Baglioni.

Travlehorizons, Thank you for the tip on Virtuoso, I am booking this through Amex Platinum FHR Program, which has similar amenities. I also liked what you pointed out about another Starwood hotel vs. an Italian owned luxury hotel company.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Well I've stayed in both and the Luna does not have that great a location and the rooms were definitely ho-hum. Danieli may be tired - I was there 3 years ago - and we still loved it - esp the location and the rooftop restaurant/bar. But we had a small suite overlooking the Grand Canal/Bacino - which might b nicer.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 06:34 PM

I've stayed in the Luna yearly for th past five years--although when it's quiet in January. I love the location. There are not mobs of people outside the doors like the Danieli. And I do not think the rooms are dull. You can get a lagoon view or a view over the side canal and across the lagoon. I don't like the interior courtyard rooms. And the staff is terrific.
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Every hotel has awful rooms. The degree of awful depends on how little you're willing to pay. If you do not request a hotel room by room number (sometimes difficult to do if you're a first-time customer), you'll get what they give you. It's no secret: the people who pay more get the better rooms.

I like the Baglioni's service, and I prefer the Luna's location over the Danieli. The Luna features some fun rooms with terraces. The Danieli also has some fabulous rooms with water views. Because the Danieli directly overlooks the water, this makes it a more popular property. The Luna gets less direct sunlight, so many rooms have a darker look to them.

I also like aspects of Palazzo Stern, but you'll be further away from the "action." Some of their rooms are quite small. A first-time customer has to be careful here.