Search

Venice Hotel: Hotel Capri, Hotel Principe, or Hotel Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:46 AM
CPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Hotel: Hotel Capri, Hotel Principe, or Hotel Carlton

I am trying to find a better less expensive hotel than the one I have already booked, Grand Hotel principe for $240 per night. The above three hotels are right next to each other but with a significant price difference (Hotel Capri $150, Hotel Carltom $200). I tried looking up info on Tripadvisor and was not very successful at finding enough info for comparision, especially with Hotel Capri! It will be for a honeymoon stay next July. Has anyone stayed at these hotels? Thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:45 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Carlton last March. It is across the canal from the train station. You will have to cross the bridge right outside the train station. The hotel was nice but it is a walk to San Marco from there. I liked it because I got to walk thru a lot of neighborhoods.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:05 PM

I know it isn't on your list but... my wife and I stayed in the Hotel Wildner (http://www.veniceby.com/hotelwildner/) two weeks ago for $200/night. We had room #35 with a wonderful lagoon view. We loved the place mostly for it's convienance (one minute walk to vaperreto stops, four minute walk to St. Marks), its views of the lagoon and the entrance to the grand canal and its value. It is clean, well staffed and affordable and was exactly what we were looking for.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:34 PM

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a good hotel in Venice, however I can deter you from staying at the Carlton. It is in fact a very cute hotel cute with a small courtyard in the back however the rooms were quite small and the place was filled with tour groups. Furthermore, but the tv's were black and white (not that you'll be watching any on your Honeymoon) and there were ants in the salt shakers in the hotels restaurant.
Good luck and congratulations!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:29 AM

Hi CPT,

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Principe a couple of years ago and had a huge room with balcony on the canal. Very nice. They also offer a nice breakfast buffet.

Is your room a canal front one? I think it's a must - especially for your honeymoon.

This is a good location to go Burano and Torcello from, it you have the time.

Good Luck,

Tam
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:15 AM

I've stayed at the Principe and it is indeed a fine hotel. Its best feature is that it's a short walk from the train station. But it is expensive.

The last time I was in Venice, I stayed at the Hotel Bisanzio. It's farther away from the train station, but a 5 minute walk to San Marcos square. It's about $100.00 less per night than the Principe...at least it was in 9/2001 Very nice rooms. Their site is at http://www.bisanzio.com.