Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice hotel for honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-hotel-for-honeymoon-165302/)

Gina Feb 27th, 2002 08:04 PM

Venice hotel for honeymoon

On my first visit to Venice, I went seeking a bargain hotel that was still comfortable and clean, and found it in the Casa Gerotto, Campo San Geremia. Next May I'll be going back on my honeymoon :-) and am looking for something more upscale and romantic, yet not back-breaking. I've read a lot of general recommendations here--Pensione Accademia, Leon Bianco, Calcina--but I wanted to ask specifically about a hotel that might be good for a honeymoon...romantic, canal views, special treats for honeymooners, etc.<BR><BR>We can't afford the Danieli/Gritti Palace level, but might be able to swing the next step down. I'd like to keep it under $300 US a night. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Joelle Feb 27th, 2002 11:23 PM

Practical question (in terms of budget): when is your honeymoon planned?

Nikki Feb 28th, 2002 12:07 AM

Gina, look into the upscale Ramada Hotel Venezia which has received 4 Mobil stars & 4 Michelin stars. Get more info on hotel features and pricing at www.ramadahotels.com. They are partners with the Marriott. Hope this helps. Congrats on your wedding!

Gina Feb 28th, 2002 04:38 AM

Whoops, thanks, Joelle, I knew I'd forget something. We of course managed to pick May, one of the most expensive months of 'em all. Nikki, thanks for the Ramada Venezia suggestion...anyone else have any thoughts?

elaine Feb 28th, 2002 04:49 AM

Hi Gina<BR>If you mean May 2002 don't wait any longer to book your hotel. Some of the popular small hotels you mention May already be fully booked.<BR>I can't speak to honeymoon arrangements but you might want to inquire at<BR>Hotel Colombina Calle dei Remedio, Castello 4416, phone 39 041 277 0525; fax, 39 041 277 6044, www.hotelcolombina.com Last time I checked, doubles from $150-$304. 5 minutes from San Marco square. Recommended last year in the New York Times and Conde Nast Traveler. 32 rooms, spacious, luxurious, some rooms have canal views. Location overlooks the Bridge of Sighs. Buffet breakfast available. Nearby moderately-priced restaurant is Cantina Canaletto. The Bridge of Sighs is visible from all front rooms. "Rooms offer every luxury. Service is wonderful Elegant bar and breakfast room with a good buffet."<BR> I haven't stayed there I was curious about the Colombina which has only been open for two years, so I went to look at it last fall. Location is behind P. San Marco, a 7-10 minute walk from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop. Walking there the first time might be a little confusing, but after that it's easy. Since it's new, everything about it is fresh and attractive. I saw a large double that could accommodate a third person in a nice built-in daybed, and I also saw a standard double. Rooms were medium-sized based on my European experiences. I would not call them small by European standards. Bathrooms also medium-sized, completely modern. Room d&eacute;cor traditional, but light, airy, and charming. Very quiet location, especially the rooms that face the courtyard. Attractive breakfast room, and breakfast is included in the price. There's also a bar on the main floor. I may very well try this place next time.<BR>Congratulations, by the way.

Gina Feb 28th, 2002 03:50 PM

Thanks, Elaine--the Colombina sounds lovely and *ideal* for our needs. I'm off to look at their Web site now. No worries, we're already thinking May *2003* honeymoon (and even though we're deep into wedding planning already, wouldja believe we had to hustle to book the venue we wanted in NYC and already lost out on our photographer of choice?). Anyway, this hotel is definitely going on the list. Thanks again!

CNK Feb 28th, 2002 05:09 PM

I can recommend - without hesitation - <BR>the Accademia. Did a lot of research before choosing last year and was extremely pleased. This is recommended on many travel destination boards and now I know why.<BR><BR>Venice is the perfect place for your honeymoon. Enjoy, and don't shy away from concerts - in costume - they sell on the streets of Venice. It will be a highlite in your trip.<BR><BR>Also, a word to the wise. When you book your hotel, ask them to make a reservation for you for "The Secret Tour of the Dodges Palace (in english),<BR>it's a great tour.

deb Feb 28th, 2002 07:32 PM

Hotel Metropole is still at the very top of my list for Venezia (and I have been there a zillion times!)--although the Accademia is also very nice and the Columbina sounds good too. Oh dear, couldn't you go on a pre-honeymoon hotel scouting trip? Auguri ("Best wishes!")

Rex Mar 20th, 2002 02:14 PM

Topping for jdoyle...<BR>

Tricia Mar 20th, 2002 02:39 PM

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Metropole would certainly stay there again we booked our room through www.travelpro.net and worked with Anne there. She got our room for about 175 a night