Venice- Hotel Flora or La Calcina?

Jan 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Ellie

Venice- Hotel Flora or La Calcina?

Both Hotel Flora and La Calcina have gotten some good ratings by readers. Anyone familiar with both? Is La Calcina too far to walk at night to the sights? Any comparison on charm?
Any other comparable hotels or inns? The Academia sounded so charming, but alas is booked for our visit (may be the only one) to Venice. Thanks for your advice and comments.

Jan 16th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Marj

Sorry, I can't compare but I can say I really liked the FLora. It was the most charming of all the hotels we stayed at in Italy (4 of them). Although I have read that some of the rooms can be small. We had a quad, it was the biggest room available and just fine for us. The garden area was delightful for a late afternoon cappicino.

Jan 16th, 2002, 03:33 PM
mary

Ellie,
We loved the Flora last year. It is in a great location, easy to walk to everything. The staff are warm and very helpful--our room overlooked the garden (it was quite lovely)--
Enjoy!
Mary

Jan 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Jean

We were very disappointed with the Hotel Flora. Booked a double at $215 many months in advance (for October 1999) and were given an extremely small room with an absolutely miniscule bathroom (think broom closet). The floor drain in the bathroom was inadequate and water puddled into the bedroom. Lots of noise from guests returning late and the snoring that woke me was not my husband but, rather, the man in the next room! No amount of "charm" could erase these memories.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:30 AM
Yvette

We loved this charming hotel. Eating breakfast in the garden was magical. The location is excellent.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Lisa

Like the others, I've only stayed at the Flora. Ditto on the tiny rooms and charming courtyard. The location is good and staff was warm and helpful. We'd stay there again.