Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice hotel dilemma -- please advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-hotel-dilemma-please-advise-98291/)

ann Jan 2nd, 2001 08:00 PM

Venice hotel dilemma -- please advise

My fiance and I will be in Venice for part of our honeymoon in the early part of April 2001 and we were wondering if anyone could offer any advice (good or bad) on the following hotels: <BR> <BR>Europa & Regina <BR>Daneli <BR>Hotel Metropole <BR>Flora <BR>Londra Palace <BR>Rialto Hotel <BR> <BR>My first choice is the Daneli or Europa & Regina, but I am wondering if it is worth it... my thoughts are that we might be better off going with a nicer room in a less expensive hotel). The Metropole is about 1/2 the cost of either the Danieli or Europa & Regina. I considered the Flora at first, but I read that the rooms were small and somewhat worn. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sue Jan 2nd, 2001 08:55 PM

Ann, This thread is repeated ad infinitum here. I suggest you do a search for each hotel (there will be many duplicate postings), consider the comments and any other information you can glean from the net and perhaps post a question about the two top choices.

elaine Jan 3rd, 2001 06:00 AM

poor ann was advised in her other posting to repost with a specific question. <BR>ann, it is hard for anyone to tell another person what is "worth it", particularly for a honeymoon. If you want luxury, the Danieli and the Europa REgina will fit the bill, as I mentioned in your other thread. <BR>Perhaps since Venice is only part of your honeymoon you might decide which location you want to splurge in, and where you are willing to forego some luxuries. Depending on your itinerary, if you are going to any resort areas, perhaps save your splurging for that, where you are relaxing and spending a lot of time in the hotel. <BR>If you intend to do a lot of sightseeing in places like Venice, perhaps you will feel that you are not spending much time in the hotel room and so simpler will be just fine. Or, resort or not, perhaps save the "luxury" for the last part of your trip, so you upgrade as you go and return home feeling pampered. In Venice, the Metropole might be a very good compromise. <BR>It's a very personal decision.

howard Jan 3rd, 2001 06:16 AM

Here's another viewpoint: <BR>Since Venice is, inherently, such a wonderfully romantic city, you could stay almost anywhere and enjoy the experience. So, unless money is no problem, I'd say, save the luxury )i.e., more expensive) accommodations for another part of the trip.

ann Jan 3rd, 2001 03:50 PM

Ann, My vote goes to the Metropole. Outstanding hotel. Priced right and right up there with the best. We stayed there last July and thoroughly enjoyed it, big rooms, excellent location, friendly staff. I almost booked the Rialto and after seeing it am glad that I didn't.

Dave Jan 3rd, 2001 06:35 PM

Stayed at the Danieli in October 1999 while on my Honeymoon. If you want to splurge this is the place. Great location and good service. The roof top resteraunt has a great view of the Grand Canal.

Jeanette Mar 25th, 2001 03:03 AM

Hotel Flora is just charming. It's in a more quiet section of Venice. The terrace for breakfast was so nice, and the food was good. We found the staff to be very pleasant also. We thought it a good buy for the price when we were there in July 2000.

Lorraine Mar 25th, 2001 07:53 AM

We also enjoyed the Hotel Flora. It's just a short walk to Piazza San Marco, but very quiet and charming. The rooms are small but nice, and we didn't spend much time in the room. Wonderful secluded garden terrace for breakfast.

eliana Mar 26th, 2001 06:02 AM

I would recommend these hotels from the charmingvenice.com site: <BR> <BR>www.charmingvenice.com/rialto/index.html <BR> <BR>http://www.charmingvenice.com/sospiri/index.html <BR> <BR>Take a look at the site and see if you like anything else which you like.

jim Mar 26th, 2001 08:21 AM

Not a criticism, just an amusing observation about the post that recommended saying at the Flora because "we didn't spend much time in the room." <BR>Uh, I believe the original post said they're going to be on their honeymoon.

Marj Mar 27th, 2001 08:25 AM

The Flroa is charmaing as already mentioned but some of your other choices are higher end hotels. If budget isn't an issue, i would certainly consider some of the others. we stayed at the flora and loved it. we stepped into the lobby of the metropole and it seemed spectacular.