Blois- Amboise or Chenonceaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent all day on this site looking for a great one night hotel as a stopover on our way to our gite in le Blanc. I have found many great suggestions from different posts. But I think I need help because we will be traveling with 2 other families(and yes we'll have the kids). I am looking for a large enough hotel to accomadate us but I still think it would be great to be located near or at least in the same town as one of the castles. I would also like to it to be near (we will have cars) a great very local type restaurant. I would love to have personal reccomandations. I saw Novotel Amboise but didn't know if it was to impersonal. Then I saw La Roseraie in Chenonceaux but didn't know if it was to small. So maybe something in between. Sorry so long - hope someone can come up with the perfect hotel for our first night of a dream vacation. Thank you
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Look at Manoir les Minimes in Amboise,
address: www.amboise.com/les-minimes/
MarieFrance
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:34 AM

And this one: Hotel Choiseul www.choiseul.com
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Bon Labourer in Chenonceaux would just right for you. It is actually several old buildings. My boys room had a turret which was the bathroom. Families are welcome. It has a nice pool. And the restaurant is wonderful. Also it is right across the road from the chateau.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Another vote for Le Choiseul in Amboise. Also the Lion d'Or in Amboise. I prefer Amboise to Blois or Chenonceaux for touring the Loire - lovely, bright little town with lots to offer besides the château.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I spent several days touring the Loire and the chateaus last month. I used Amboise as my base and really loved the town. Can't wait to go back. I stayed at the Hotel Belle-Vue which is on the River right in front of the chateau Amboise. Very pleased with the hotel, price was right, good buffet breakfast, friendly helpful staff and great location. Amboise to me is perfect for touring the Loire; close to Chanonceau, Chambord, Villandry and Blois.
Larry J
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Since you mentioned that this was just an overnight stopping place I would definitely choice Amboise. There is lots to see and do right in the town and the de Vinci exhibit with the models of his inventions should be great fun for the younger set.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:33 PM
MGB

La Roseraie gets good reviews in Rick Steves and on the Fodors hotel profiles. We made a reservation for Sept and they sounded very nice when I spoke with them. Plus they have a pool which might be good for the kids. I believe it is walking distance from Chenonceau.
According to its web site, it has 17 rooms so it should fit your group, I would think. Did you see their web site at www.charmingroseraie.com?
Regards, Mary Ann
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:48 PM

I spent 10 days touring the Loire in May, and loved Amboise. It was a "kid-friendly" town with lots to do, and plenty of restaurants kids would like. I'm not sure of a hotel to suggest, though. I stayed at the lovely Manoir Les Minimes, and loved it, but I don't think I would want to stay there with children, as they are quite fussy (beautiful antiques around). They forbid eating anything in the room! The Lion d'Or looked fine, down the street from the Manoir les Minimes. I ate dinner there one night, and it was good.
I was in Amboise on a French holiday weekend, and there were so many French families there, with children (and dogs!)
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:59 PM

We are booked at Bon Laboureur for 4 nights in Sept. Glad you liked it Rachel G. Where else did you eat in the area?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:01 PM

We stayed at La Roseraie and enjoyed it very much. We were there in October and it was too cool to use the pool but it is large and looked like it would be great fun. The rooms are decorated nicely.

They have a great restaurant at the hotel and there is another across the street. Try the duck with cherries. Yum. The young couple running the place were extremely accommodating. There isn't anything to do in town but for one night, you couldn't go wrong.