Venice Hotel Accademia or La Calcina?

Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:33 PM
Karen

Venice Hotel Accademia or La Calcina?

Please give me your opinions on these two hotels in Venice. Which would you rather stay at and why?

Sep 24th, 2001, 07:40 AM
robin-k

I've seen TONS of discussion about the Accademia and alot on La Calcina on this forum. Majority of opinions are favorable. Believe you can't go wrong at either place.

I wasn't able to get a reservation at either when I went to Venice last October. Opted for the funky (lots of old world charm) and very reasonably priced Hotel Galleria.

Sep 24th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Sara

Do either of these hotels face the canalWhat is the differnce if you are looking out between seing the Grand Canal or a different one. Is it worth more to see the Grand Canal or is one as good as another?

Sep 25th, 2001, 11:26 AM
robin-k

'
Sara:

The Grand Canal is Venice's version of "main street" --- when you look at a map of city, it's the canal that snakes thru center from train station at the top down thru bottom 'til St. Marks Sq. It sees the most boat traffic, which can be a good news/bad news thing if you're staying in a room overlooking the GC. Admittedly, it can be rather interesting to be sipping your cappuccino in the morning & watching the different boats cruise by --- all products, be it food or basic households necessities find their way to market via the water. They even have police & fire boats! I'm a light sleeper, so found my room @ Hotel Galleria to be noisier than I'd preferred. I've seen other posters who've stayed at different hotels on the GC and were not bothered at all by distractions.

As I said previously, I've not stayed at either Accademia or La Calcina. I know they both have rooms that overlook a canal. Pretty sure La Calcina is on the Zattere. If you check their websites, they should provide specifics on location.

Sep 25th, 2001, 11:31 AM
robin-k

If you need contact info for Accademia, its:

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it

E-mail address: [email protected]

Don't have La Calcina handy; think it's still listed in Karen Brown's book & may be accessible thru her website, www.karenbrown.com

Dec 12th, 2001, 02:27 PM
GAC

La Calcina has a new website:
www.lacalcina.com (easy to remember!)
I too would like to hear any comments about this pensione.

Dec 12th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Nan

From the web site it looks like it is on a different canal than the Grand Canal? True? La Calcina

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Betsy

We stayed at La Calcina in October and really liked it. It's on the Giudecca Canal, which is a working waterway and is the path the cruise ships take into Venice. Our room was on the front of the hotel, and I could almost reach out and shake hands with the cruise ship passengers! The buffet breakfast at La Calcina is great, the lobby area is pleasant, the staff is friendly and professional. Our room size was adequate and the bathroom seemed to be newly refurbished; there were shelves to put things on in the bathroom. The area around the hotel seemed very safe at night, and I wouldn't have hesitated to go out alone in the area.

Buona viaggio