Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Honeymoon in late August/ early September

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting married at the end of August and thinking of going to Venice for our honeymoon. We would be visiting for 10 days and i know this may seem alot to some people for just one place, but i am one of those people who likes to visit places one at a time so i know i've seen all i wanted to see and had the 'proper' experience. However, do you think 10 days is too long to spend in Venice? Will we run out of things to do and get bored? I don't think we will because we certainly wont be rushing around, it is our honeymoon after all

As for hotels, i'm looking at the Hotel Bucintoro, it has great reviews and is a small hotel in a less tourist, quiet area, with great views over the lagoon and St Marks. If anyone has stayed there or knows anywhere better for a similar price then let me know.

Also, one last thing, my parents went to Venice last year and completely fell in love with it but said it was very expensive, particularly to eat and drink out. This has my husband-to-be a little concerned and he thinks it would be better to stay full board at a hotel so we dont have to pay eat-out prices every day. However, i think this takes the fun out of it a little and would be looking forward to eating out at different places. Does anyone have any advice on this front?

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I am about to return to Venice for perhaps the tenth time (I've lost count) and am staying 8 nights, so I think you will find plenty to do in and around Venice.

I would not get the full-board plan. With so much time in Venice, you will have plenty of time to explore and find less expensive places to eat. If you look for all your meals near San Marco, you will find high prices and often lower quality. By staying where you plan to stay you have taken a step toward finding reasonable options in Castello. Also explore Cannaregio for good food choices. Really, just move away from San Marco and off the main tourist walking routes between sights to find less expensive prices.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Have you considered staying is a nice apartment? This would allow you to prepare meals and snacks when you do not feel like going out to eat. You can shop for food and drinks at local markets and save money (and it's fun!). It will also provide more space for relaxing. An apartment may also be less expensive than a hotel. And, you might be able to find one with a terrace or balcony.

There are many apartments in Venice. Do a search here or check reviews here-

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Venice

I have stayed in Venice for long periods of time and have always enjoyed my time. If you feel like escaping the city, there are many easy day trips to lovely cities/towns by train.

Enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM
DRJ

I've stayed in Venice for two week stints. The secret is to wander around and get lost. And there are plenty of inexpensive dining choices.

We usually rent apartments for the reasons listed above. In fact, we have a Venice apartment reserved for ten days for a few weeks from now. If you think you need a break from the city you might think of a Brenta Canal cruise. It takes a day and is an interesting experience. Buon viaggio.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Get an apartment and eat one meal each day at home.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Staying in one place makes a lot of sense to me - esp for a Honeymoon. It;s tru Venice is expensive - since there are so few locals versus the vast number of tourists. I would just be very careful that you visit does not overlap the Venice Film Festival - which is in Sept (don;t know the exact dates for this year) when all prices skyrocket to 2 or 3 times normal.

Agree that an apartment might be a good idea if you like the idea of making at least your own breakfast and feel you can do without full hotel services. Just make sure you understand the conditions (elevator or not - and AC - I would NOT stay anyplace without AC in Venice this time of year - but I must be cool to sleep.)
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM

We have spent a week in Venice, and then followed up with two visits, each of about two months. You won't run out of things to see in ten days.

I wrote a couple of trip reports.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

Search vrbo.com, and you might find an apartment. Buying and cooking your own food is fun.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM

All my visits to Venice summed up, I must have spent more than one year there, and though I have by now seen most places I really wanted to see, there are still some left to which I didn't make it so far, so don't fear 10 days might be too long - it's a nice start, though.

As far as eating, the full-board idea is just plain horrible. Hotel food is just that: hotel food - not what I'd want to eat on my honeymoon for sure! On this thread http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm you'll find many ideas for eating out (inexpensive options included) as well as Venetian home cooking (if you decide to rent an apartment, like I, too, always do).