VENICE HONEYMOON HOTEL

Mar 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

VENICE HONEYMOON HOTEL

Hello All:

We are arriving in Venice on June 19th and spending three nights there for our honeymoon before proceeding to Tuscany (Sienna, Greve and Florence).

We decided to stay off of the main island and were looking into the Westin Exclesior in Lido and the San Clemente Palace - has anyone stayed at either? Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks!
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM
LJ

In your honeymoon-shoes, I would seriously re-think staying OFF island. If I had to pick a part of Venice that is NOT romantic, it wopuld be the Lido (or Mestre). Surely there is something in your price range in Venice? The places you are looking at on the Lido are not inexpensive so perhaps it is not a financial decision?
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I concur with LJ and would most definitely stay in Venice proper, not the Lido.

Check out Hotel Ala Commedia, a new property, small and getting rave reviews.
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Yes- stayed at the Excelsior - but only because I was doing a meeting (group of around 100 in the hotel) and the Convention Center is on the Lido. The hotel is fine (some rooms are incredibly large and ornate - but they may count as suites - don't know since we were comped.)

That hotel has private launches to and fro St Marks - so you don;t have to wait for and pile on the public boats back and forth. But - if there's a convention on even the private launches can be crowded/delayed. (out group was big enough that we had 2 launches for our private use - but that meant that many fewer boats for other guests).

The Lido itself is Venice's beach (fairly unpleasant) and other than that and the Convention Center has little to recommend it.

I would definitely stay in Venice proper rather than spending at least 40 minutes per day trekking back and forth on the motoscafo.
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Have you been to Venice before? I can't imagine why you would want to go there, but not stay there (in the heart of things).
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Not to "beat a dead horse", I agree with the previous responders. The beauty of Venice is taking in the city, walking and walking - and staying in the Lido is ok if you know Venice very well and want to get away from it (although I can't imagine any reason why one would want to...). I stayed at the Excelsior once and, yes, it was lovely, but we had to travel back and forth - you will not get the same wonderful feel for the most romantic city in the world, IMHO.
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM

We took time from Venice to take a water taxi to Lido. Curious. I regretted the time it took from Venice and I wouldn't recommend it. Boring. Might as well have been in a small beach in Southern California, with rows and rows of small changing cabanas marring the beach.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM

We just stayed at Locanda Orseolo not far from St. Marks for our honeymoon in September. It is in a quiet area but close to everything. It's a small hotel and the staff is fantastic. They are recommended over and over by other honeymooners. Honestly, I can't imagine a better start to our honeymoon and really can't gush about them enough.

We loved it so much that we are returning in May for our 'babymoon'.

Mar 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM

look at Palazzo St. Angelo on the Grand Canal. It costs some bucks but I felt it was so worth it! We did about the same trip in reverse last year, way past the honeymoon tho, but it felt like it!
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Another vote for Locando Orseolo. It is a small hotel in a fabulous location run by a wonderful young family who will help you with everything that you need - reservations for dinner, transportation issues, etc. Ask for a room overlooking the canal.