Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice: Have reasonable fares held on option for 24 hours for Easter, your advice needed quite urgently...

Search

Venice: Have reasonable fares held on option for 24 hours for Easter, your advice needed quite urgently...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Kavey

Hi Friends <BR> <BR>Have been thinking about the idea of Venice over Easter... <BR> <BR>If we go it will be a longish trip - 27th March to 2nd April 2002 (6 nights). <BR> <BR>The fare I have from London to Venice return 128.40 UK return. <BR> <BR>Its on hold for me till tomorrow. <BR> <BR>Question is, will I have any trouble finding a hotel if I start looking now? <BR> <BR>When things close for Easter, is it just for the Sunday and Monday or for the Friday and Saturday too, and are things like restaurants still open? <BR> <BR>Many thanks for your input <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Kavey! <BR> <BR>It's just Beth SkyBluePink here (love that combo! I actually have a dress which was sky blue when I bought it, but the dry cleaners fixed that - now it's sky blue with PINK in various parts from the chemicals. I have not had the heart to throw it away, it's too pretty although a little odd looking now...) <BR> <BR>ANYWAY. for a substantial answer to your question: <BR> <BR>I was able to book a room in Venice on three weeks notice, for New Years. Maybe no comparison, but, it can be done. I know of a place which is cheap safe and clean but not fancy at all. If worse comes to worse, let me know if you want it and I will get you the number. <BR> <BR>my motto - it's never too late to find a place to stay. there is ALWAYS something out there. <BR> <BR <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Steve James

Hello Kavey, <BR> <BR>I'd say - go for it! <BR> <BR>Sure - it'll be booking fast for Easter, but you should find something! As a last resort if you can't find anything you could always stay somewhere nearby, - like Treviso or Padova. <BR>We stayed in Treviso last summer and loved it, - it's only 20 minutes by train from Venice ... <BR> <BR>I wouldn't have any second thoughts. Easter in Venice? Wonderful! <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>P.S. Have you considered Ryan Air? They're quoting £45 each way for those dates ... <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Book Chick

Hi Kavey, <BR>You're up early today! <BR> <BR>Anyway, not everything will be closed & you will virtually always be able to find a restaurant open. Certain shops will close & often they will be open for a half-day the day prior to Easter. <BR> <BR>If you've the jitters about places to dine, enlist the aid of your (should be) friendly concierge, who is there to make life easier & your travels more delightful. <BR> <BR>As for hotels, I always recommend my own fave, the Antica Locanda Sturion, which you've seen me do so much you're undoubtedly sick at stomach just from reading this, but they do have their own web site, so you can begin in earnest a sincere & (hopefully) fruitful correspondence with them now in order to obtain your room later. <BR>Ciao! <BR>BC

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Kavey

Not early in UK! <BR> <BR>Thanks for the Ryanair tip, I checked it out but that 45 is without taxes, they bring a return up to 108 which is still slightly less than BA and Alitalia (128 and 120 respectively) but Ryanair use Venice Treviso airport... <BR> <BR>I think both BA and Alitalia use Marco Polo, any comments on that? <BR> <BR>I will try and check... <BR> <BR>I am inclined to go for it, despite the crowds... <BR> <BR>One other option is to go through work but it depends how much that comes to with a discount included. <BR> <BR>Any comments on the following hotels (the ones available if I book through work)? <BR> <BR>(I will also do a search here) <BR> <BR>Lisbona (3*) <BR>Arlecchino (3*) <BR>Santa Marina (3*) <BR>Kette (3*) <BR>Ai Due Fanali (3*) <BR>Violino d'Oro (3*) <BR>Principe (4*) <BR>Splendid Suisse (4*) <BR>Locanda Vivaldi (4*) <BR> <BR>If I go for the flights I will be able to book any hotel not just those above. <BR> <BR>Thanks again

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Santa Chiara

Kavey, <BR>I was in Venice for Easter two years ago. It was perfect. Not too crowded either, and mostly Italians and Germans. Everything was open, including museums and restaurants. I was able to get a good deal by staying in Lido, which I prefer anyway.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Book Chick

Kavey, <BR>I think you should go for it, by all means. No experience w/Venetian airport, as I'd arrived via train. (Sorry, for some reason I thought you'd written around 9:10pm here in the Eastern U.S. time zone!) <BR> <BR>In any event, you might want to do a search for the Kette, I think I saw it here quite recently. Also I believe the Principe has received favorable reviews. (Again, sorry no personal experience to draw from--but hope springs eternal, so maybe on some future date we can trade Venice hotel reviews with more to offer each other!) <BR>:^} <BR> <BR>BC

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:48 AM
alex

Kavey <BR> <BR>The fare you have sounds fine - though I am assuming it is over the Easter holidays. I am flying to Venice with Go for £55 including taxes return in October. However, their site does not show April 2002 yet. Ususally they have special offers closer to the time (but NOT if that is the bank holiday weekend). If you risk it, you may be able to find a better fare, see www.go-fly.com. Note that Ryanair go to Trevisto, 30kms away, though they have last minute offers. Last week, they had one that came to £30 return including taxes! It all depends how flexible and risk-taking you are. Subscribe for their email letters for offers. <BR> <BR>As for hotels, I had a thread here (about 100 or so messages down) re Locanda Sturion or American hotel, which is what I narrowed down my choices to for October. Do book early though, as 1/2 of the places I was interested in were booked out.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Kavey

Hello!! <BR> <BR>I think as it is the easter bank hol weekend that none of the no frills airlines will likely have their special fares on... <BR> <BR>So the choice comes down to <BR> <BR>Alitalia £120 each Gatwick to Venice Marco Polo <BR> <BR>And £128.40 each for same with BA <BR> <BR>ANy comments? <BR> <BR>Also where is Marco Polo aiport? <BR> <BR>THANKS

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Beth Anderson

Marco Polo is Venice's airport, but, it's on the mainland. you have to take a boat to get to Venice - but it's great, you see ALL the islands on the way there! gorgeous! <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>I am jealous - how cheap traveling within Europe is! 120 pounds - 240 bucks, wow! <BR> <BR

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:20 AM
robin-k

- <BR>Kavey: <BR> <BR>I know I've seen good reviews on the Kette from regular posters. Also, have seen positive comments on the Ai Due Fanali. <BR> <BR>If you can book those thru work, I'd definitely go for either of those places. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Surlok

The Hotel Kette and Splendid Suisse are both nice, very close to San Marco. I haven't stayed there, just passed by, but friends did there and they were pleased. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:22 AM
s.fowler

It's even more depressing than that.... 120 pounds = $174 USD ... waaaaaaaaaaaa...

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:26 AM
alex

Kavey <BR> <BR>Yes, indeed the bank holiday weekend is the same as your hols, so guess either of those fares are good. In my experience, you will not get a low-low fares then, as that's always the black-out period. Marco Polo is a boat ride (17,000LL) from St Mark's (1 hour) or watertaxi (150,000LL and up) or bus/taxi followed by boat from the city. Check out the rants and raves for hotels here, also Timout.com/Venice and Frommers - the latter has all the email addresses which I used for planning. Enjoy! PS From your message, I realised my 30th is on Easter day - sounds like a good excuse to get away - must start planning!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Book Chick

Kavey, <BR>Yes, it was actually Bob the Nav recommending the Kette & mimijules seconding his "fave rave". Anyway, Marco Polo is listed as 13 kilometers outside of Venice, but there is plenty of water transport available & the ride is not supposed to cost any more than $17 (USD, sorry). Kavey, I hope this works out for you. (Please let us know.) <BR>BC

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:28 AM
robin-k

- <BR>Kavey: <BR> <BR>Websites to see the Kette and the Ai Due Fanali: <BR> <BR>http://www.rome-italy-hotels.net/ven...ette/hotel.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.aiduefanali.com/ <BR> <BR>I, too, remember walking by hotels when I was in Venice in October & thinking they looked good from outside. <BR>Hotel Kette is in San Marco district, on a small canal. Ai Due Fanali is in a quieter district, Santa Croce --- but still an easy walk to sites, San Marco, etc.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Beth Anderson

Sally, you are right, I doubled it instead of 1.4'd it. <BR> <BR>man, now I am really depressed. I think I have decided I can't afford to NOT live in Europe much longer... <BR> <BR

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Kavey

Thanks all of you, I knew I could rely on you to help me decide... <BR> <BR>Am going to go for the BA fares, as its a total of £16UK more between us, and I think BA has a better reputation for being on time, nice staff etc. <BR> <BR>I just phoned back to see if they had another promo fare and nothing there so I will leave it till tomorrow and try that again. Someone else may have had a promo fare on hold till midnight tonight and release it so it might be available tomorrow and mine are on hold till midnight tomorrow. <BR> <BR>As for hotels I have just found out I can get 50% off accomm prices so I could even consider posher ones. <BR> <BR>As well as the list above that would also pull in these <BR> <BR>Luna Baglione (4*) <BR>Sofitel (4*) <BR>Danieli (5DL) <BR> <BR>Woo Hooooo <BR> <BR>Will do a search for comments on all these hotels when I can (going to the Criterion restaurant in picadilly circus tonight, anyone been? it has the most amazing gold mosaic ceilings) so probably tomorrow night once I have the flights booked <BR> <BR>THANKS AGAIN <BR> <BR>Any more comments on hotels welcome... <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Surlok

Among the three, my first choice would be the Danieli. My second choice, the Luna Baglioni. <BR> <BR>Also, consider that the train ride from Treviso to Santa Lucia train station is short, just 20 mins. From Marco Polo, the Venice airport, you'd have to take a water taxi, or a vaporetto. <BR> <BR>The Sheraton hotels do have a (water) shuttle from/to the airport to/from their hotels, so you could consider, if staying at the Danieli, to use this service. My recollection is that it's expensive, though. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Santa Chiara

<BR> <BR>So, Kavey, do tell. How did you get 50 percent off these hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -