Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice for 3 days, suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-for-3-days-suggestions-671668/)

ltilley Jan 19th, 2007 06:46 AM

Venice for 3 days, suggestions

We have three full days in Venice. Actually 3 1/2 but we're taking a half day to go to Udine to see where my grandfather was stationed.

I'd love to hear suggestions on what to do for the three days. Should we visit all three Islands, or just one? Etc.

I did do a search for Venice... but looked through mostly posts on where to stay, etc... I'd love to get your suggestions... THANKS!

jdraper Jan 19th, 2007 06:55 AM

ltilley: My favorite thing to do in Venice is simply to spend time wandering the streets, watching the people go by and relaxing. Do schedule some time for simple wandering and getting lost in Venice. I have been to all three of the main outlying islands but if I were you, for such a short trip, I would plan on only Murano and Burano, as you can do them both in the same day. Obviously St. Marks Cathedral and the Doges Palace are not to be missed while you are there and try to get into Salute as it is truely beautiful. You will find no shortage of things to do in Venice for such a short trip. I am envious as I have not been back in nearly three years and am feeling "homesick" for my favorite city in Europe. Enjoy.

annhig Jan 19th, 2007 07:07 AM

fodor's venice pages have got a good itinerary for 3 days, but a lot depends on your interests, the weather [not much point in going to the islands if it's foggy or raining].

Can't remember from your previous thread when you are going, but I always try to have an "A" list, and a fall -back for each day, in case the "A" list doesn't work out.

to give you an idea of what I did with my DF, her son and D in law for about 3 days last november, [leaving out singing rehearsals which took up quite a lot of time]

we spent one morning at "i Frari" and the scuole di san rocco [Titian and Tinteretto]

We spent another mornnig at the Accademia and the Guugenheim, ending up at San Salute; and rehearsed in the pm

After lunch we caught the vaporetto across to San Marco and did san marco [definitely see the golden screen for an extra 3E] and the ducal palace [not the secret tour as we'd never been to the palace before], then wandered over to La Fenice where we had tickets for a concert [alternative would be the querini stampalia behind san marco]

another day we caught the boat over to murano where we went to the glass museum and then a glass-blowing demonstration, followed by lunch back in Venice; in the afternoon we went shopping/wandering around in san Polo.

WE staying in Cannaregio [very convenient for the station/piazzale Roma] so we got to know that area very well as we had to get down to a church near the Rialto for rehearsals every day. If you're not staying in that area, it is well worth a visit, if only to catch the market along the fondamente nuova.

Obviously we missed a lot of things other people would see as essential, but our days were quite busy. You may wish to cram in less and rest more, or not.

Have a great time!

ltilley Jan 19th, 2007 07:21 AM

thanks both for the great suggestions...

As for the Islands, should we go if we're not interested in the glass blowing or lace?

franco Jan 19th, 2007 07:22 AM

Venice is a city where 3 months would be just sufficient to get a rough impression of sights, layout and atmosphere - attention, I wrote MONTHS, not days, and I mean it. So if you are already leaving for Udine for half a day, why would you want to leave again for any islands (I don't know which you mean by "the three" - there are 12 outlying islands that are easily reachable by vaporetto, and at least 20 more not so easily reachable). Visiting any island would shorten the time that you have for Venice herself to a degree of making it doubtable whether it's worth going there at all. So if you take my advice, don't do any island, not even one: the islands may be nice, but Venice herself is about thirty-thousand times more interesting than all of her islands summed up; Venice is one of the two or three main sights on this whole planet - and not a base for making daytrips!

franco Jan 19th, 2007 07:24 AM

Ah yes, and here's a thread with suggestions what to visit in Venice: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34791890

jdraper Jan 19th, 2007 08:19 AM

I agree that there are many islands but I assumed the OP meant Murano, Burano and Tortello. I also agree that Venice is the most beautiful place and you don't have to go to any of the islands to have a great time. However, we enjoyed our visits to the outlying islands and felt that we would wonder what we were missing if we did not go. I would spend the time to go to Murano and Burano even if you are not interested in glass blowing or lace. They are quiet and lovely and we had the most wonderful lunch and a view of life around Venice that we would not have gotten otherwise. Whatever you choose, enjoy the trip.

ira Jan 19th, 2007 08:26 AM

Hi LT,

Have you looked up Venice under "Destinations"?

((I))

ltilley Jan 19th, 2007 08:34 AM

thanks all for the advice...

I'm enjoying all the suggestions. Yes, I printed out the suggestions from Destinations for what to do for four days.... but I always like to get real suggestions too. and thanks for the link!!

As for three days not being worth going there at all, I appreciate your passion, but unfortunately my life doesn't seem to be the life that will ever afford me the luxery to take more than a two week vacation. DH and I are going to visit four cities... and hope to one day return. I think it will be great to leave and think "we have to come back".... because it will just motivate us to do so.

cmeyer54 Jan 19th, 2007 08:53 AM

We spent 4 days in Venice and never went to one of the 'islands'. Basics - we toured St Marks, Doges Palace, numerous churches, took a gondola ride, listened to the dueling orchestras on the square and just wandered and meandered a lot. We did use both the Rick Steve's book and Insight Guides so it wasn't aimless wandering. We're going back in October and plan to see the Guggenheim, collection, Accademia and climb the campanile this time around.

franco Jan 19th, 2007 09:25 AM

No, just get me right: I didn't say it wasn't worth going for three days - as a start, with the perspective of coming back, three days in Venice are just fine. What I meant is if you were spoiling too much time daytripping, it wouldn't be worth going - if all you've left for Venice are two days (and that's what it is if you are doing an islands tour), it might be better to postpone the whole Venice stay to your next trip to Italy, and then assign more time to Venice.

Lexma90 Jan 19th, 2007 09:31 AM

I've visited Venice several times, and we still haven't made it to any of the other islands! I always end up choosing to wander around the streets, with an occasional church or museum visit, over anything else (I use various walking tours that I've gotten from books to help guide me). Like you, I'm not interested in glass-blowing or lace-making, though Burano and Murano sound cute, and I really would like to see the church on Torcello. It's just that every time in Venice, I feel like my time is limited enough to not want to give up 1/2 to 3/4 day on getting to and from the islands.

ltilley Jan 19th, 2007 09:35 AM

Thanks Franco for the clarification... believe it or not, you told me what I was hoping to hear.

Every guide book and post mentions going to the Islands one of the days (even on a three-day Itenerary) and there didn't seem like there was anything on the Islands I wanted to see that would be worth taking time out of Venice...

So, maybe we'll just see what happens, but we'll plan on leaving the Islands for another time.

THANKS! A

Lorac1127 Jan 19th, 2007 09:45 AM

We stayed three full days and never visited Burano or Murano and I love glass and lace.

Three days will give you enough time to see enough to keep you happy and three days will make you fall in love with the city...so you will be sure to return.

martite Mar 2nd, 2007 06:22 PM

bkm

sglass Mar 2nd, 2007 07:21 PM

The fact that the three "main" islands were one of the highlights for my family underscores what a personal thing travel is and how it is hard to recommend for someone else. We had the same amount of time: three full days. I decided after a lot of research to spend the middle day taking the vaporetto all the way out to Torcello- by this time we had the boats figured out. I thought Murano was tacky and touristy and agree it would cut into your limited time, unless you are a glass fanatic. Burano was charming- I took a whole roll of film with the colorful houses and little canals- we just wandered around for an hour or so and had a gelato en route to Torcello. We loved the ride all the way out- a chance to rest our feet from all the walking we'd been doing, too, exploring. The view from the top was gorgeous and helped me much better appreciate the marshy beginnings of Venice. When we got back to Venice proper, we just walked until we found a little restaurant- a perfect day! Then the third day we were ready to dive into St. Mark's! We spent the last evening taking the #1 vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal at sunset...we loved the vaporettos!

abk Mar 3rd, 2007 12:17 AM

Lucky you! Other than Venice itself which will easily use up three days, you could cross to Murano and walk around, but stay clear of the glass shops near the front - walk back.
DO, DO do the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doge's Palace! This includes the main tour and the extra itinerary with the prison tour. It is really wonderful, very good English guide. You will need to book in advance either online or go the the ticket booth as soon as you arrive. The Scuola di San Rocco can be done at the same time as the Frari and is fantastic. The Accademia is lovely too - all depends how much art you want. Just walking and getting lost is the nicest part of being in Venice - and you will get lost!
I like Dorsoduro and the back parts of Castello, I like Cannaraggio and the ghetto is def. worth a visit. Use the Vaporetti and WALK! Do go across from San Marco (22 vaporetto? I think) and go up the campanille of San Giorgio to look across to San Marco - a wonderful view. Just taking the No 1 Vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal will give you a great overview of the city from the water. Try and go early to the market at the Rialto - great to see all the wonderful fish stalls and local produce. What else - oh endless and wonderful- enjoy