Venice/Florence/Rome or just 2 cities?

Jul 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Venice/Florence/Rome or just 2 cities?

I'm heading for Italy for 8 days. I'm trying to decide whether to do Venice/Florence/Rome or just 2 cities. Any suggestions? Am I biting off too much and will it be too much to do all 3?
Thanks!
Bev
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:21 PM

Of course, it depends on what you want to see.

Would you rather catch the main sights of all 3 or see just two of them a bit (although not much more) in depth?

Two days should suffice in Venice. In reality, you could easily spend a week there, but it's not a big place, and so if you're short on time a couple days will do (besides, it's expensive to stay there!)

Three days in Florence and 2 in Rome would also be OK, or if you're less into museums and more into people watching and outdoor Roman Ruins, then the reverse would do.

My husband and I only had time for one full day in Rome and knew it wouldn't be enough. Still, we managed to fit in the coliseum, pantheon, mouth of truth, and all the main sights in that time period. We cheated by taking a taxi to the sights further afield. It was well worth the money when we were short on time.

As I said, you COULD spend a week in each place and not be bored, but if you're short on time and don't get to Europe much, then I would fit all 3 in as best you can. Just make sure you're traveling by some very quick means of transport!

Does the 8 days include the day you arrive and leave? If so, that's cutting it a bit short!

If you ahve to leave something out, the logical thing to leave out is Venice. Although it's a fantastic place, it's not as conveniently located to the other two!
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:08 AM

One day in Florence is plenty if you are not a huge Renaissance fan.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:13 AM

We just spent 4.5 days each in Florence and Venice and felt it was just enough time for each city. We enjoy art, however, and had a lot of things we wanted to see in Florence. In Venice, we tended to do more wandering than sight seeing since the city is so unique. We managed to fit in all of our "must sees" in each city, but still missed other things we had on our list in both cities, as well.

I agree that it just depends on what you feel is important to see in each city.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:33 AM
ira

Hi

My suggestion is 2 nights in Venice and the rest of the time in Florence, from which you can visit Siena (1 day), Pisa and Lucca (1 day) and one other spot.

Save Rome for when you have a week for Rome.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:46 AM

You don't say when you're heading to Italy- i'd say the time of the year will influence how many cities to fit into 8 days. If it's hot, Rome can be just too busy and noisy to enjoy! Florence also has few places to get away from the traffic anc just chill out. In Venice you can still get away from the crowds, there's no noisy smelly cars and you can take as many trips on the water as you like! Even lie on a beach at The Lido.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:55 AM

If you want to see the most famous sights and just taste each city, do all three. But you will lose a lot of time going from one place to another, that's a reason to keep it down to two places.
I'd say Rome and Florence, or Florence and Venice.