Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice/Florence .... need help (Rex, Paulo, anyone??)

Apr 25th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Jeanna

Hi, sorry for having to ask this question, as I know it's been asked by plenty of others, I'm having trouble doing a search for hotels in Venice and Florence (I keep getting an error message), so I'll re-ask the question: Can anyone out there recommend a nice, quiet(not terribly expensive) hotel in Venice or Florence for June? I've e-mailed the Hotel Flora in Venice and am awaiting a response; I'd like to know of other good hotels to check out. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!!!

Apr 25th, 2001, 07:43 AM
m

for florence, hotel casci, www.hotelcasci.com. keep trying with the search, the system is touchy at times. there are lots of comments about the casci here. the flora is very nice also.

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Roberta

In Florence: Hotel Paris, Hotel Lungarno, Pendini, and Il Bargellino.
good luck (they all have sites) or try the site goitaly.

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:23 AM
elvira

Try http://guestinitaly.com/

We had great success using them; the Albergo Santa Lucia in Venice was a real find.

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:39 AM
bk

Although not in the city center I recommend Hotel alla Campanella in Doli- very near to Venice.Since you can't drive in Venice you can leave your car(if you have) at the hotel's parking place.There are frequent buses leaving for Venice (=40 min.)Piazza Roma.
The hotel is nice,clean,quiet and family run.My husband,my son and I enjoyed it.Because we run a hotel in Cesme,Izmir,Turkey,too.

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:48 AM
a

I'm going to Florence and staying in a hotel affiliated with the Lungarno- The Hotel Art. It's small, but very very nice.

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Barbara

Last fall we stayed at the Hotel Marin. Just across the bridge from the train station. Very comfortable and reasonable

Apr 25th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Rex

How flattering that you ask me about inexpensive hotels in Venice - - but i'm sorry to tell you that my experience is limited with any place that would meet your objectives.

I don't know where I stayed in 1969, but it was on Lido, and I don't actually recommend that. I stayed on Lido again spring break last eyar because it was kids and we were trying hard to keep the budget down; it didn't much change my opinion (though I do think that Pensione Stella is nice for what you pay for).

On my next trip, we're going to stay at Bonvecchiati for my third time, and it probably doesn't fit most people's idea of inexpensive.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 25th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Paulo

I'll pass Jeanna I consider info on hotels perishable, that is, things may change quite a bit over the years, and not always to the better. I consider my hotel experiences that more or less fit your requirements too old to relay reliable info.

Paulo

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Lisa

seems like people on this site need a good travel agent...an I am one! Try Accademia Penssione in Venice and we like st Germain are in Paris. There are many, try Hotel Bel Ami. If you need additional help e-mail me directly.

Apr 25th, 2001, 06:18 PM
xxx

The boos and hisses will begin any second now...

Apr 25th, 2001, 06:38 PM
s.fowlerq

Lisa-- Read the site policy -- NO ADVERTISING

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:23 AM
carol

I'd say Lisa's not much of a travel agent if she's suggesting that Jeanna could book a room at the end of April for the Accademia in Venice in June!! Totally unrealistic. Try the site recommended by Elvira--it looks great.